1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ESPN ombudsman is pitching a perfect game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Soccer15211, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

And yet the same crapola continues at the World Wide Misleader.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

'Cause it sells. Because it helps rake it in.

Ms. Omb is doing a near-perfect job in the Best-Of-All-Possible-Worlds Department.

But we're still stuck with the Screamer, Skippy, and being forced to watch solid reporters being converted into crapshooting guessers.

Yeah, it's too bad.

And she won't change it . . . inch one.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I thought her denunciation of Easterbrook was unusually full-throated. Think a regular ESPN employee -- rather than a contracted dotcommer -- gets taken apart the way Easterbrook was?

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I agree ... but wouldn't it be brava for her?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fair question . . . but she's gone many a mile in terms of holding many of their procedural models under some very bright lights. She's not pulling many punches.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think we all miss the Sportscenter of the 80s, and to be honest, I cannot remember a year of my life that I watched fewer highlights.

I do watch PTI. I like the back and forth, and I would rather have those two editing the content and the delivery more than Sportscenter. God, do I hate the teasers that you see... "Next on Sportscenter: Why Tiger Woods might never be the same golfer again." The "story" will be some stiff making conjecture about Tiger's new wife or kid. Man, I hate that.

I know I can get the highlights on Baseball Tonight or some NHL show, but I want a show that will give me the results and highlights in one hour. That's all I got. I cannot watch three different sports shows to get highlights from the major sports going on at that time.

I mean how many of us actually know what Malkin, Carmona, Sizemore, Roy Williams, Billingsly and McFadden look like? Could we pick them out of a line up? I probably could not, and I think it's because 95 percent of Sportscenter is spent talking about the same 20 athletes or teams.

God I miss seeing highlights. All of the highlights.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can see them? I'm serious. Does Fox? CnnSi? What does?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if the higher-ups have told all of their employees to ignore her just like they did with her predecessor.

Fantastic column. She's too good for ESPN. I'm sure by this time next year Scoop will be writing it.

8. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I'm with those who wonder if her stuff will make an iota's worth of difference there, or is the proverbial tree falling in the forest?

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It's a known fact that its easier to play in the NBA than be an ESPN ombudsman. Look at the numbers:

# of ESPN ombudsmen: 1
    # of NBA players: 450

It is 450 times as hard to be an ombudsman.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Next thing to eliminate: Phone interviews with other coaches, etc., or other non-highlight cutaways during the game. I hate that crap.

Or Barry Larkin and Orel Hershiser talking about their college and pro careers or Barry Bonds for minutes on end during the College World Series.

Hey, there's a real game going on, assholes, you know, the reason you're in Omaha in the first place.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

And equally as hard for her to be an ombudsMAN :)

Excellent read. I hope her work is making noise from within the Bristol bricks.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I just get the feeling -- and so do many of you, by what's been written here -- that she is writing in a vacuum. The WWL institutes an ombudsman for the appearance of "fixing" its product. But identifying the problems are different from making sure they do not happen again. And that's where her hands may be tied, at least that's the idea I get from the final part of this column. The ESPN executive admits to a conscious shift toward opinion-based reporting ... and then says "we may have hit on something" with it. What can she do ... kick him in the shins?

Draft saved Draft deleted