1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The engagement ring --- an "outmoded commodity?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I don't mean to pick on you, Riddick, but have you stopped to consider why you feel the need to get her a nice ring?

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Well, I'm still trying to figure out what I consider nice. I took a look at a couple of platinum and white gold bands, but she only wears yellow gold.
    So, once I figure out what she considers nice, I'm going to try and make it happen. I think the ring depends on the individual person receiving the ring. Cause honestly, I doube I'm going to think much of the ring I pick out for her, but knowing her the way I do, I'm hoping she's going to love it.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

SC, IJAG, you two are wonderful. The coolest wedding band (not a ring, technically, but a symbol of affection) I've ever seen looked like a piece of silver pipe. This woman doing an ultramarathon I covered was wearing it and I thought her man must be the luckiest dude in the world if that was an adequate symbol of affection. For me, I'd just as soon get a tattoo around the left ring finger.

By the way, notice the Google ads at the bottom of this thread. Gack!

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I hope that includes investing 10 percent in a 401(k).

If not . . . hoo boy.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Speaking of weddings ... this is allegedly from earlier today:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That is sweet. I thought my R2D2 cake was rockin.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I can't top that, but all of our tables were named after our favorite teams. (The UCLA fan was not pleased to be seated at the U. Washington table.)

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The killer touch is the scoreboard has the Louisiana Lottery logo on it, just as on the real Tiger Stadium.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If I ever get married, and that's a big if, I'll be getting a tattooed ring. The women in my family have a degenerative condition that causes so much water retention that it renders wearing rings impossible, given that their ring size goes up and down about three ring sizes a day by the time they hit 50. I'll always be able to wear the tattoo, regardless of how much my hands swell.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Wow, sc, you know how to lure the men. :D

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There's a reason I'm single, ya know :D

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I read further back that the average wedding is $28,000? We just did ours for exactly HALF that. And I think every single person in the room (all 132 of them) came up to us and told said it was "the best wedding they have ever been to."

People seemed more impressed with the DJ, music, fun, the fact I walked around and asked "are you having fun?" and the bus we rented to get the drunks home, than they did with the pomp and cirsumstance (i.e. $60 wedding cake, decor, the 70 or so invitations we MADE ON OUR PC AT HOME for $100, etc.)

Draft saved Draft deleted