1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The engagement ring --- an "outmoded commodity?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Not so fast, ondeadline.

My brother was engaged to a bridezilla type. When she went over her parents' budget when planning the wedding, she convinced my brother to hit up our parents for more money. It never crossed her mind to scale things back or substitute certain things; she had to have her fairy-tale wedding regardless of where the cash came from.

I'm all in favor of both sides pitching in for wedding expenses, but damn...

2. printdust

printdust New Member

That show on MTV where 16-year-old brats get outrageous parties and the only show on TV where you hear the word "ME" 12 times in a 60-second spot on average? (Don't tell me MTV isn't polluting our culture). I pray every day my kids don't end up marrying one of those fools.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Hopefully, they'll go for a small wedding like we did. We didn't want anything really elaborate and had our wedding in a small chapel. Her family's church has a HUGE sanctuary and a chapel, making it an easy choice.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Two weeks' salary.
    I've upgraded my wife's ring several times in our long marriage, always coming in at about two weeks as my salary rose. The two months thing is such a diamond-industry screw job. If you listen to them, you deserve the monthly payment you're stuck with.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Good point. When I get engaged, I'll buy my fiancee her own slave.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

My wife and I spent less than $2,000 -- all our own money -- on our wedding 17 years ago. That includes the rings, the dress, the chapel, photos, the whole bit. My grandfather, a Baptist minister, officiated. Seems like it worked out OK.

Our wedding ceremony, from "Dearly beloved" to "you may kiss the bride," lasted 22 minutes. We spent about 40 minutes at our reception, because, frankly, we had better things to do.

I've been to those huge party-all-night weddings. They're fun. But they seem to be to be a bit out of proportion to the investment required.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Once you get engaged, you'll be the slave. ;D

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't wear rings. I don't know that I'd ever get used to it. I still want one IF I ever snooker someone into marrying me. But diamonds aren't necessary...I like opals, or a cubic zirconia is fine. Lets others think they can judge me, but they have no idea what they're talking about.

I do, however, want a nice wedding. But I plan on knowing more about it before I actually do it, so I can "style on a budget."

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I really don't want an engagement ring. My mom had a huge one for her first wedding, which lasted all of 4 years until I was about 9 months old and my dad decided he'd rather be married to the woman he'd been running around with for about three of those years. Mom gave me the ring when I was about 13. I lost it when I was 20 and wearing it as a toe ring.

Engagment rings don't mean to me what they mean to most people. They're kinda all tied up with disappointment and men acting like asses. Oh the things fathers do to their daughters.

I don't want a big wedding either. If I ever find a man insane enough to tie himself to me for life, I'm going to Vegas and letting Elvis do the honors.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

There are fascinating accounts of how DeBeers, with brilliant marketing and perfect timing, essentially created the notion that diamonds = true love is traditional and romantic -- along with the myth that diamonds are rare.

And, of course, there's always that wonderful bit from Maher about diamonds ...

11. printdust

printdust New Member

Yeah, but
    Yeah, but have you checked out the $300 rings at Wal-Mart? 1/4 carat bargains all right.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

My thinking is, I spend a shitload of loot on beer and other booze. I enjoy life and try to buy what I want when I want it.
    I'm not rich by any means, but can live comfortably, and for some reason I want my girlfriend/future fiance (if i'm lucky), to have a nice ring.
    It's like giving something nice to her, after all the nice shit (booze) I give myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted