1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The End of SI?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Apr 13, 2018.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Yeah, I once had a bit of culture shock when I stopped at a Wal-Mart in Kansas (in Lawrence even!) and couldn’t find a a single copy of Rolling Stone, even though there were about 23 magazines with some variation on Home Defender magazine and the like.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's really odd - if you have a five section magazine area, one will be women's titles, one will be brides and kids, one will be home redecorating/improvement, one photography/media and one just guns.
    The only weekly I think most grocery stores carry is the National Enquirer.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

As someone with long experience in buying magazines in grocery stores jobbers seem to be on two kinds of schedules. If the jobber comes in once or twice a week then you will see the weeklies like SI stocked. But if the jobber comes in less frequently then you will just see titles like Gun and Ammo that are not going to be dated. I suspect with the decline in magazine sales more outlets are going to reduced magazine delivery schedules.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't know if they have the capital, but it would be interesting if The Athletic bought SI and used it as their print flagship. I know they have designs on an online magazine (Ink), but I wonder whether online works better for their city sites and they could use SI as their national/print/magazine arm.

I say this with the stipulation that I know nothing about business or publishing or anything, really.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Jesus, that was painful, like a bad college thesis. Stopped at this, high up, says it all (though it needs an edit):

"The quintessential middle-class American magazine of the postwar era."

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't think that anyone has every covered an event as well as SI. I find the Athletic to be a useful because it provides a broad scope of coverage. The quality of the product is generally equivalent to that of a large market newspaper, which is logical, because that is where they hired their staff from. But if the Athletic could somehow deliver game recaps of big events like the Super Bowl, the Masters, etc. and have them on-line by six the next morning with the quality of SI then it would truly become the nations's sports page. I would think that could attract a couple million subscribers.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You know, when I first saw your post, I was shaking my head. ... But thinking about it, you do have to consider that Newsweek and US News & World Report sold for less than $10 million each. Meredith is looking to unload Time, Fortune and SI (what Meredith wanted was People). SI clearly has the most value of them, but I'll be damned if I can value it. I believe a majority stake in Rolling Stone went for $100 million. And even with reduced circulation, when you add in all of the ancillary business, SI's business brings in more money. So you'd assume it is not going to even be remotely in the ballpark of anything The Athletic could pull off -- something in the hundreds of millions of dollars? I believe The Athletic's last capital raise was for $20 million, which was a leap up in VC money for them, and to get money that values them at 5 to 15 times where that funding was at to buy something way bigger than their operation, they'd have to totally rejigger their business model and projections and then convince people with money that a new strategy that includes SI is going to fuel crazy growth. It would be a big departure from the story that has allowed them to raise money until now.

I think two things are likely for SI ... Either they find a wealthy person or family who will overpay for it, as a vanity purchase. Or it will be a strategic purchase (in which case, you had the right thought with The Athletic), but someone with more money. ... ESPN, Turner are obvious, but it could be a sports marketing firm that has the cash.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Headed to NBC, where he'll do the Monday morning column under some other name.

SI's shedding folks, but, beyond that, I got the sense that, of the people left covering football for SI, only King really loved the sport how I do - or how NBA writers love their sport right now. The rest of the MMQB team, while doing good work, seems more interested, like many journalists are now, in the intersection of celebrity and hot topics with the sport.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It all started with Moddy ...

crimsonace likes this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How does leaving SI for NBC Sports alleviate the 24/7-ness of football coverage? Is he going to focus on longform and pivot to video?

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He’s also contributing to the PFT show, I’d assume on a regular basis.

Draft saved Draft deleted