1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end of RBIs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 4, 2011.

1. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Yes, Mark, I'm fucking stupid. Maybe one day I'll be as smart as you.

2. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Dick, if a guy gets enough RBIs, it tells me that he's doing his job day after day getting runs home. Maybe that's not a fancy formula, but it's an important part of the game.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's useful shorthand. I would never base, for example, a free agent signing or a trade on RBI's. There is a reason you never see RBI's in Baseball America.

4. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

I have no idea if you are or are not. The argument you have posited on this thread: Runs win games, therefore RBI is the most important stat -- is demonstrably stupid. Proveaby, too.

5. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

It's useful shorthand to the large majority of fans out there. That alone makes it important. You can certainly toss it out if you don't like it. I don't think most people who enjoy the game want it tossed out, however. And I'm staring at my Baseball America college issue. In their preview on the Top 25 teams, every starting lineup is listed with BA/OBP/SLG along with HR/RBI/SB.

6. Dick Whitman

Team previews.

7. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

A few years ago people were high on Jeff Francoeur because he was a great RBI guy.

So yeah. I think we're done here.

8. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

It's a team game, Dick.

And Francoeur's stock dropped when he quit driving in runs. Of course, he pretty much quit doing a lot of things.

Also never said it was the single most important stat. Just said it shouldn't be totally discarded because some have decided it's irrelevant.

9. Dick Whitman

Kind of.

10. akneeland

akneeland New Member

Didn't really want to get involved, but I'll say this:

Comparing players based on their RBI totals will not tell you who the better batter is. When paired with RBI opportunities, though, RBI can be a very useful statistic, even when comparing players on different teams.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Mickey Mantle had 4 100-RBI seasons. Joe Carter had 10.

That's all I got.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Saberheads will never get that clutch hitting wins games, not Moneyball stats.

Draft saved Draft deleted