1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end of RBIs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

RBIs will survive, if only because it's easy to figure out. Get a hit (or a sacrifice), a run scores, that's an RBI.

Some of these other statistics are just so convoluted, it won't replace a simple stat.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

RBI's are useful shorthand, but not for the reason people think, i.e that a player has a magical ability to drive people in with his hits.

They are useful because they give you some idea of how the lineup has been performing, and how this player has been performing in the midst of that lineup.

If I see, say, Paul Konerko with a .320 average and only 40 RBI's at the All-Star Break, I don't say, "Damn, Konerko isn't getting the clutch hits!" I say, "Damn, what's that say about the White Sox?"

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Why not? A guy who hits .200 with RISP is the same as the guy who hits .350 with RISP because they both have OBP of .400.

4. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Actually, RBIs tell you exactly that a guy is driving in runs with his hits (whether it's magic or not). And your example also could mean that Konerko is batting .400 with no one on and .240 with men on base.

5. Dick Whitman

The more at-bats someone compiles in a season, the less likely that is.

It's much more likely that a disparity would be a reflection of the teammates ahead of him.

Last year, Miggy Cabrera led the American League with 126 RBI's (RBI?). He batted .322 with RISP and .328 overall.

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I once played in a fantasy baseball league that didn't count RBIs as a stat. The commissioner was one of these stat geeks who didn't think RBIs were a true measure of a players hitting ability. It's only a triple crown stat.
    It was stupid then, it's stupid now and it will be stupid 10 years from now.

7. Dick Whitman

Smart commissioner.

8. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Yes, let's hope nobody gets any RBIs. After all, they mean nothing.

9. Dick Whitman

They reveal nothing about an individual player that the percentage stats don't already reveal better.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Maybe we should stop tracking runs and RBIs all together and just decide games by who has the highest OPS. And then give everyone a trophy at the end of the year.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

No. It makes you correct. RBI is one of if not the most important baseball stats. It means you are hitting when you are needed most and driving in runs to help your team win.

12. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Try writing a game story without telling the reader which players drove in the runs, especially the ones that led to a team winning the game. Or is that so meaningless that it should be left out? Tell me which of the new percentage stats you'd use in a gamer that would be more informative.

Draft saved Draft deleted