1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end of Mark Madden? UPDATED: He's FIRED!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, May 22, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: The end of Mark Madden?

You think that gasbag is that self-aware?

He's probably sitting at home thinking "Man, I kicked ass on the air today. I am the best EVER! Watch out Tirico and Van Pelt, I'm taking your slot!"

2. markvid

markvid Guest

No, he was honestly scared last fall, he knew he crossed the line then and I think he's already been made aware he has again.

3. Inky_Wretch

He didn't cross the line, he's so far past the line he can't even see it any longer.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not that he would ever notice the line in the first place.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

He's an act.
    A crappy one at that, but just an act.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I can see that. Other than sports bars, what business would want to be associated with him? It would be very easy to find yourself on the receiving end of some boycotts.

7. Inky_Wretch

So he's an on-air badass, off-air coward?

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

He has a very specific market and that is where they can sell advertising.

But any company worried about a boycott threat stays clear of him.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He also once famously said on the air that Bruno Sammartino must be rolling over in his grave somewheres. That was 8, 9 years ago and Bruno not only is very much alive, but is in probably better physical shape than a decent percentage of this board.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pretty much. Has he even been in any team locker room other than the Penguins in years?

This thread is such a tease. I know he doesn't really believe even half of the shit he says on the air, but that doesn't make him any less despicable.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The funny thing is -- he is a huge, huge fan of soccer (I think Liverpool is his team) and hockey but he absolutely detests the Steelers and is one of the few media people in town not afraid to take some shots at them.

Of course, he never shows up in their locker room to face the music for what he's said, but.....

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

You know why he detests the Steelers? Because everyone loves them. That's why Myron Cope (was) and Hines Ward are on his shit list. He wants to cynically drum up ratings. You hate soccer (like most Americans), then he loves it. It is why he was a perfect fit for WWF.

Draft saved Draft deleted