1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end of call-takers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 10, 2009.

1. trench

trench Member

This is also one of those rare and glorious opportunities to use crazymom and crazydad to do your dirtywork, however. Every prep coach has a few of them, and when they want to know why little Johhny didn't get credit in the paper for his efforts, you can say, "Well we would love to have had Johnny in our summary today, ma'am, but your coach has chosen not to participate in our new format for submitting results (insert online/fax/email policy here)."

Then you sit back and wait a day, and suddenly the coach is on board. And that's when you know that somewhere in the meantime, the Christians met the lions. This was going to be the engine I was going to use to power our prep coverage out of the stone age, had I been given the chance.

2. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

At my last gig in Texas, I'd get e-mails on volleyball and basketball by 10 p.m. ... cross country results would be online sameday ... football coaches had updated district stats on saturday mornings ... nice setup indeed

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll help on my day(s) off. How well do you pay?

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, those kids will be getting a 401(k) plan within weeks. ;)

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I could use a second.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True. The bodies are out there. I'm sure most of us did this stuff when we were in university or thereabouts. So I know there are people willing/able to do it for peanuts. It's just a matter of recruiting them and training them BEFORE the season starts.

Draft saved Draft deleted