1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Empty Baseball Pressbox

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Apr 7, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The Wall Street Journal laments the decline of actual writers at the ballparks:

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB123906424665995337.html

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

"After 10 years, BBWAA members are given certain perks that continue even after retirement."

Like what?

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

$6500, especially for the NYT, seems quite low.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The whole issue is overstated. You'll temporarily see fewer out-of-town writers as newspapers cut costs and the recession takes hold. Eventually, local news will become financially viable on the Web, the economy will come back and the press boxes will repopulate.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can't argue the story, but picking a late-March game between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh to illustrate the point is a little misleading.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A vote for the HOF is one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not much of substance in that piece.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I kinda figured that. What else?

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The BBWAA card should allow you entrace to any stadium and press box in organized baseball. I've used mine twice in 25 years for that, both times to visit a high school friend who was the batting coach for a major league team. He could have arranged entrance for me, but I didn't want to bother him with that.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This has probably been discussed on the board before, but I don't think we're very far away from a landscape dominated by league-run media. Followed by the league cutting conventional media outlets from the information loop. It's already happened in some NFL outlets, I understand. Widespread practice would not surprise me at all, especially if the journalism industry continues abdicating press box space.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought the LA Times wasn't traveling with the Angels anymore.

12. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

OK. That's a relief. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted