1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The emptiest city in America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RossLT, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hey PC ... are all of those pre-planned communities up in Anthem thriving or are they part of the problem. When I lived there, I always thought it was way too much to have that many houses up there, especially since 17 was a bottleneck north of Deer Valley. I couldn't imagine wanting to commute 35 miles each way to go to downtown from Anthem ...

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

At least Vegas/Phoenix have tourism and people looking for vacation homes. I think the prospects might be bleaker in some of the California communities that are in areas that have no industry or tourist attractions. Not only are they remote and surrounded by agriculture or open desert, but they're saddled with all the tax negatives of California. Seems a harder sell than a decent condo/house in Vegas or Phoenix for 100-200 grand.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I've heard too many ugly first-person stories about the increased crime rates in borderline-or-worse areas of Vegas (and I'm including the busiest parts of Downtown here, in a significant way, not to mention too many parking lots serving some of the
    off-strip joints) to make me comfortable. To make a long story short,
    the desparados are loose, they're packing, and it's your money or your life, in too
    many cases. There's no confusing the Bellagio with Deadwood -- yet -- but
    things are getting far dicier than the genteel would like.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Have you been commenting on my paper's website lately?

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

They're not necessarily the worst spots, but they're part of the problem. They've had a lot of foreclosures up there.

The crazy part is, there are similar developments that are a hell of a lot farther out from the city center than Anthem. At least it's on I-17. They built a second Anthem near Florence, close to 90 minutes from downtown Phoenix. Places like that are really getting their asses kicked. There are people who were the first to buy in a new development.. and damn near the last to buy. They're stuck in a neighborhood of empty and half-finished homes.

Before the bubble burst the developers were pushing Casa Grande as a convenient Phoenix suburb. It's halfway to Tucson.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The vacation home industry is bleak. If you don't have the money for a first home, you certainly don't for a second. Plus, there are amateur investors who thought they were junior Tommy Wus and thought they were going to have a boat and hot chicks if they bought real estate. My mother-in-law was lucky to sell her condo on the west coast of Florida (and still make money in the process), because at least two units in her 50-unit building were in foreclosure. A lot of the retirees are moving back home because their investments went kaput and they can't afford to pay the mortgage on the condo anymore.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As we all know, Phoenix is VERY spread out, for what it is, but that's stretching it.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Too late. LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Notepad

Notepad Member

$2.1M in LA.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Unfortunately, this beautiful estate is not in LaLa land.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Baltimore, Newark, Detroit it's all on the same street

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Definitely not Newark or Baltimore. Could be Detroit, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse. I'd even throw in Boston. Chicago might be stretching it a bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted