1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The emails I get ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, Dec 10, 2010.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Thought y'all might get a chuckle from this email ...

"Dear Professor Doctorquant,

My Name is Obviously Non-U.S. Applicant. I would like to peruse a PhD degree in blankety-blank at your department. Therefore, I would like to talk to you at your connivance."

Wonder if the "connivance" bit was intentional.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Good timing, I was going to start a similar thread.

I got a sales email yesterday from an online retailer, with this in the subject line: 'We're really not retarded, here's the correct coupon code!'

Bothered me all night. 'Retarded?' Someone got paid to come up with that? It's a site for trendy clothes, high end stuff. I want to respond. Any suggestions?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

"No, but my child is challenged and you just lost a customer."

Try that.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That's definitely where I was going. I would love to know if they got any response to that idiotic mail, or if most people just read through it (and probably use the term themselves 100 times a day).

5. CRR13

CRR13 Member

I can't remember the specifics, but I got an email recently. I think it may be spam, but I'll let you decide. There was a young woman from Africa who inherited a fortune from her parents. Her murderous uncle was going after her wealth, so she wanted to transfer the money to the United States. Easy to guess that I deleted the email right after I read it.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ask where to send your resume for the recent opening in the sales and marketing department.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A possible response: Thanks so much for sending this. In my role as business reporter at Metro Courier, I have been working on a story on how firms are using email in marketing these days. Hope you won't mind me using this in my story. Seriously, this was a huge help!

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Either that, or ilmago decided to go for his PhD.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm a lawyer so i get moronic e-mails daily from people asking for free legal advice. if you legitimately have a case and want to talk things over and explain your whole situation, i'll give you a little bit of free legal advice. but for me to just randomly answer a question ("can i sue someone for x?") without knowing anything at all would probably be malpractice.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I actually got this letter when I was covering college football...

Dear Fuckface,

There are aborted fetuses that know more about football than you do.

Then it got really mean.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You had the 'Bama beat???

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Mizzou, sorry about that one. Just thought your use of "anxious" when you meant "eager," even in a direct quote, was particularly unacceptable.

Draft saved Draft deleted