1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "effin' stud"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PEteacher, Jul 20, 2006.

1. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Just curious, who do you define as an "effin' stud"? What's your criteria to label someone that? The 24-year-old SE of a 30K rag? The 25-year-old preps reporter of a 200K+ paper? The 26-year-old covering a major traveling beat for a 60K paper? The 27-year-old preps reporter of a 300K paper also backing up a major beat? All of the above? None of the above? Something else?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You are!

Anyone else, it's Mizzou's call.

3. JME

JME Member

When people say this, I think they usually mean someone relatively fresh out of college and covering a major college or pro beat (or doing features) somewhere for a major outlet.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you sent your pages on time today, you're a fucking stud.

If you didn't, you're an RCH from getting canned.

Everything else is bullshit.

5. dooley_womack1

Would spelling out "RCH" get you grounded?

6. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

I wish!!!! ;D But, I've got a ways to go to get there ...

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I hate this freakin' term. It drives me bonkers every time I see it.

I have no idea of the criteria.

It never occurred to me that age had diddly to do with use of the term, but perhaps it does.

If it's supposed to mean that a reporter is highly skilled at a young age, why can't we just explain it rather than dubbing every Tom, Dick and Harry by this vague term.

8. dooley_womack1

Play your cards right with Mizzou, and ya never know, PE. Joining the front office of an NHL team doesn't hurt, either.

9. What's vague about it? We use shorthand terms like it to describe people in every other setting. "Yankees ace Mussina..." for example. Do you want people to write, instead, "Mussina, indisputably the most effective pitcher on the Yankees' staff..."?

Point is, they could well do that. But if 98% of the people reading the shorthand term understand it, I have no problem with its use. The people on this board understand "effin' stud" as well as most baseball fans understand "ace".

So...stud on, I say.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Yet another thread about this ...

11. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

RCH Now, THAT'S an oldie but goodie...

So, tell me gents, what do you call a female effin stud? Studette? Nah! Too simple.

12. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

That guy who hosted Studs was a straping lad if I should say so myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted