1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ed Whitson Rule.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I forgot about him. I hate that motherfucker.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Didn't he throw a no-hitter and lose the game for the Yankees once?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Darryl Kile in Colorado.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Givne that the Ed Whitson syndrome began in New York, it is fitting that most of the flops mentioned here flopped in NY.

Kenny Rogers, having been a total piece of shit for both NY teams, deserves special mention.
    But really, there will never be another bakset case like Eddie Lee Whitson.

And anybody who mentions A-Rod should never be allowed to post on a baseball-related thread again.

5. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Richie Sexson in Seattle? Mediocre last year, a veritable disaster this year. And while he seems to be aging rapidly, he shouldn't be this far past his prime.

I would claim that Randy Johnson in NY was on the downhill slide, no matter where he landed.

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

David Beckham (so it's looking).

Dennis Eckersley (Cubs), Larry Andersen (Red Sox), Eric Gagne (Red Sox)

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Chuck Knoblauch.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Knoblauch actually had career highs of 17 and 18 home runs in his first two years in NY...then he developed Steve Sax disease, which isn't nearly as bad as Ed Whitson Syndrome.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Homers might have been higher, but didn't his average and SB's both go WAY down?

(I really don't remember, just remembering it that way.)

EDIT: After looking at the stats, I was right, though he did rebound to have a pretty solid year in his second season with the Yankees, though still nothing like the best years he had in Minneapolis. He then immediately went in the tank.

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Adrian Beltre and a non-contract year.

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

... or in Houston

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Knoblauch hit .265 the first year, .292 the second, .283 the third.. SB's were down because he just stopped running...30+ fewer attempts in first year with Yanks than last year with Twinkies ... then came Steve Sax Disease and career went down the drain*

*Proof of career in toilet... he finished up with the Royals.

Draft saved Draft deleted