1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I live 15 miles straight west from Palm Beach. In today’s market it would be tough to buy a house in my town, but Wellington is, well, unusual because of the horse shows, farms and concentration of crazy wealth. Should be able to rent something at that salary, though. There are much less expensive communities around me, some closer to Palm Beach than Wellington. They may not be able to afford home insurance, though, wherever they can afford to buy in Florida.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I had a connection to Wellington about 25 years ago; the Aero Club built around the private runway to be exact, you know around the corner from the Polo Club where the stables were million dollar replicas of the multi-million dollar homes. It wasn't a cheap area then.
    I felt more at home in Belle Glade, where most of those maids probably live.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's a former motel halfway between my house and the center of town that's used as a dormitory for the seasonal workers employed by the fanciest resort in town (it's the kind that gets listed in glossy travel magazines), whose need for workers swells each summer. Most summers, you see dozens of bicycles there, which the workers use to get around. This summer, it's parking lot is full of cars. This means that the immigrant temps have been replaced by American college kids. I'm sure they are getting paid more than last year's group. But as with Palm Beach, the guests at the resort can stand the gaff if it's prices go up from their past exorbitant level. They might not even notice.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"Inflation" is a stealth tax. We pay for trillions of dollars of things with borrowed dollars and then debase the currency to inflate away some of the debt to enable the borrowing and spending to continue.

What you said. ... explains why it is the most regressive tax imaginable. You're right that someone with millions of dollars won't sweat the cost of their housekeeper costing $75K or $80K more a year. But someone at the lower end of the income spectrum does sweat it when their groceries cost $50 more a week, or the cost of their car insurance jumps by $600.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I went to several bonkers house parties in the Aero Club when I lived on Palm Beach Island.
    I suspect 150K can still get you a livable domicile in Boynton Beach, Lantana, parts of WPB.

Driftwood likes this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Doesn't that family from "Renovation Island" live in a Wellington McMansion?

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Amy, living in inland Florida must suck your soul. It did just as a kid visiting a relatives' cabin in Basinger. It's just a stone's throw from Sebring, which I'm told is the peritheosis of Florida.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

free link

https://www.wsj.com/finance/home-in...tc1utgxnjqv&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Joshua Enloe has gone from home-insurance paragon to pariah in just three years. Since 2021, the 36-year-old Texan has been twice dropped by insurers, and his annual rate has almost tripled to $13,000 from $5,000, before ending up with a bare-bones state insurer of last resort.

His offense? Living in El Lago, a coastal suburb of Houston. The 1960s, 2,200-square-foot home Enloe shares with his wife and dogs is in Harris County, hammered by 2017’s Hurricane Harvey. Last week the city’s latest deadly storm swept through El Lago.

One leading, but little-discussed, cause of this coverage crunch: a big increase in the cost of reinsurance policies. Now all eyes are on a round of reinsurance renewals currently under way in Florida and elsewhere that will help determine whether more premium increases are in store for homeowners.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Everything south of Disney that's more than 5 miles inland should be given back to the orange groves, ranchers, and the Seminoles.

maumann likes this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My grandparents lived in Sebring. Every time a classmate told me I was lucky I got to vacation in Florida every year, I just sighed.

maumann likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My aunt lived in Kissimmee and then St. Cloud, when it was still deep country. (Last time I was there c. 2005 it looked like they'd put in a few stoplights.)

My grandfather lived in Englewood.

I never saw the appeal of the damn place.

maumann likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

None of these towns are anything like Wellington, FWIW.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted