1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's a Brooks Brothers store in the Jacksonville airport, which has always baffled/amused me. "Kids, you and Mom go ahead and wait at the baggage carousel. Daddy will be there as soon as he's fitted for a new suit."

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Apparent for the last 2 to 3 weeks that this has been largely retail and FOMO driven.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

It got really absurd a few days ago, when you had bankrupt companies surging. On Monday, Chesapeake Energy, Hertz , Whiting Petroleum and Valaris all more than doubled. JC Penney was up more than 96 percent.

Hertz, Chesapeake Energy Leading The 'Bankruptcy Bubble'

This is what the Fed created. Anyone valuing anything on a fundamental basis got short-squeezed out of their positions. Up is down, down is up.

Warren Buffett is an idjit in this an environment, but every actual idiot is a genius.

4. The Big Ragu

5. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

DJIA is down 1,500 points. I need something to lift my spirits ... maybe a TV commercial on behalf of the president, telling me how rosy everything is.

TigerVols likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

Throughout Trump's presidency, whenever markets start wavering, he either tweets something with a cryptic promise (he did this when his trade war was causing weakness) or they would send out someone to soothe markets and talk them back up.

In the past it was Larry Kudlow (after he came aboard). During the sell off in March, it was usually Steve Mnuchin.

This morning, like clockwork, Mnuchin dialed into CNBC, and started with what he thought were the code words for the market, including saying that they are going to pump another trillion dollars into the US economy over the next month.

The equity market isn't buying it this time.

The Fed is entirely driving the boat, and has been for years (they were when Mnuchin thought he was talking things back up -- it was all the asset buying the Fed started to do with interest rates pinned at zero), and they managed to reflate the biggest bubble ever with what they have done over the last 2 months (destroying the dollar), this time sucking in retail traders who are using their "stimulus" checks like poker chips. It has gotten beyond absurd, with equity valuations completely disconnected from the fundamentals that would drive them in a free market and making them entirely about how much money the Fed is essentially creating out of thin air and pumping in. Things have gotten to such a ridiculous place, though, and on a technical basis they were so overbought, that the Fed meeting that ended yesterday, and Jay Powell flapping his gums afterward (even though he essentially promised to completely blow up the dollar and take this even farther) seemed like a good excuse for some smarter money to try to cause a little pain for the monkeys who have been piling in.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the no-shit second wave to hit fully. The Dow is going to tank again over it, sure as hell.

My preference would be for it to happen just before the Republican convention, but I doubt that I'm that lucky.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When clowns like Portnoy are bragging about how much money they're making, it's a sure sign the market is cruising for a bruising.
    PS: Alice and I, like good Keynesians, bought a new stove with out stimulus check.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Dow still can rally and make it one of the 20 worst days in stock market history. So close!

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The Transition to Greatness is going just swell.

garrow likes this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Buy on the dips! (Meaning, the dipshit amateurs playing the market.)

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted