1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Back when I was a little kid, maybe 5 or so, my grandpa died in Washington State. My Mom and I took a Greyhound from SoCal -- 25 hours there, 25 hours back. When we got to Sacramento in the evening, they were renting pillows for 35 cents. My Mom got them for us and she told me, this is your bed for tonight. A few years later when my grandma died, also in Washington, we flew. That was my first time. Probably the late 1950s.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My first flight was a prop job from Jacksonville to Tampa and back on the same day in March of 1965, because my Dad wanted to get my flight-phobic Mom to fly and eldest son was willing to cheat death as a test subject to see Phillies spring training in Clearwater. Turned out to be a historic day. Mamie Van Doren, then Phils' hurler Bo Belinsky's main squeeze, was in a box seat. Phils played it like the seventh of the Series, won like 14-2. 15 year old me had binoculars. I don't remember the flight back.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

What’s more important to airlines? Business or vacation travel?

6. Michael_ Gee

Business, by far.

Cosmo likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe businesses "discovered" that they can do all this shit remotely.

They've known it for awhile. Trips were a perk they could afford and expense out the wazoo. So they did.

I have traveled to see the Phillies three times. First time by car (of course) to Atlanta to watch a series in 1975. Second time by car (of course) to Philadelphia --- my first trip there --- to watch a couple series in 1977. Third time by plane in 1993 to watch Games 3-4-5 of the World Series (fuck you Mitch Williams). Company travel agent saved me a fortune. Flight to Philly on short notice would have been $700. She suggested flying to Newark and renting a car. Cost less than half that.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

So maybe emails started the slow death and video conferencing was the nail.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

My first flight was a proper jet. We jumped from Baton Rouge to Shreveport to Memphis and on to our final destination. My little brother got airsick and I thought god, what a wuss.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  10. Michael_ Gee

If is this post suggests you are a Phillies fan your insistence on sticking with lost causes makes a lot more sense. Welcome brother!

Jssst21 and Donny in his element like this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Fellow Phils fan here. My parents (who are from Albany) are Mets fans. When I was a kid (and before I got into sports) we moved from Albany to the Philly burbs. I immediately became a Phillies fan and went to my first MLB game ever at the Vet (mid-80s, post-Rose Mike Schmidt era). Went about four more times before they tore it down and I moved. Never followed any other team from Philly.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted