1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Eagles' New Album

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Italian_Stallion, Jan 12, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OH, what do you know about music....

2. lono

lono Active Member

And let's not forget this little gem: Henley was arrested in 1980 after paramedics treated a nude 16-year-old girl suffering from drug intoxication at his home in Los Angeles. Henley was charged with unlawful possession of marijuana, cocaine and Quaaludes and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He was 33 at the time.

He then made millions by penning "Dirty Laundry," an anti-media screed about how terribly he'd been treated by the press, who had the temerity to print his home address in the news stories after his rest.

As a journalist, I say fuckabuncha Don Henley.

As the father of a young girl, I say he's damn fucking lucky that A: The 16-year-old girl's father didn't snip his nuts off with a rusty vise-grip pliers; and B. He had enough money to stay out of jail.

As far as I'm concerned, Henley and Wal-Mart can have each other.

3. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Wow. Lots of vitriol on a music thread? I should have expected as much.

I got the Eagles Live CD through BMG in my college days and listened to it often. I'm a huge fan of Seven Bridges Road, Life's Been Good, Take It to the Limit, Take It Easy and Desperado.

To me, it's easy listening music. When I'm in the mood for that, it fits the bill.

A few of the songs are outstanding, but what makes the album successful is that there isn't a song I can't tolerate. It's an album the way an album was meant to be.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Haven't heard the new album and really have no desire to. I'm not a huge fan but I do love some of their songs: "Already Gone", "James Dean", "Life In The Fast Lane", "Take It Easy", "In The City"....

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think there's a lesson in economics to be learned here. ;)

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I do not get in arguments about the virtues of the Eagles, because there are just so many different types of people in the world. Some were born with good sense, and ... :)

(P.S. Anybody who tries to end that statement in a manner which was not intentioned shall be dealt with severely! ;))

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't get me wrong: I hear an Eagles song on the radio, I'm probably not changing the dial (unless it's Hotel California or Desperado, which are almost as overplayed as Stairway to Heaven). They're great classic rock.

I just have minimal interest in anything new by them, no interest at all in anything Don Henley has to say when he opens his big fat mouth and no interest in lining the hypocrite's pockets by forking over $100 per ducat for another reunion tour with a bunch of guys he hates.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

First date with The Queen - the Eagles.
    25th Anniversary with The Queen - the Eagles.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I must agree across the board with that outlook. I must add that I think their early work is Hall of Fame-worthy.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I also liked "Love Will Keep Us Alive" but "Get Over It" was absolutely killer.

I've only heard "How Long" off Long Road Out Of Eden. I don't know if I want to hear any more of it to be honest. I don't want to waste money and fill Wal-Mart coffers for maybe one more song I might like out of like 20.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

If the Queen tolerates you another 25 years, I like the odds of you seeing The Eagles at no. 50.

Maybe that tour will be sponsored by Walget. "Since Wal-Mart merged with Target, I have been impressed by their committment to the American people," said Don Henley's clone. "Save the trees."

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I always thought it was funny that in the 1970s, the Eagles opened for Linda Ronstadt. In one of their recent tours (the one just before the Farewell I tour?), Linda Ronstadt opened for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted