1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dunk Contest

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

A guy in my office thinks they should award three points for a dunk from behind the free throw line, thus giving somebody on a breakaway incentive to try it.

I think they'd raise the rims due to the human population continuing to get taller before awarding three points for a dunk, but it's fun to think about.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Davis' reaction, in slo-mo from the various angles, was my favorite part of the contest.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Heck, I think they should make any shot from beyond halfcourt worth four points.

Make things a little more interesting, especially if a team is down by four in the final seconds.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Took the family to the Harlem Globetrotters show a month ago and they rolled out the 4 pt shot about 35 ft away (a lot of entertainment, not much hoops, but the boys loved it). You really do not want to see a 4 pt line. Its pretty ugly, not hoops.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

What about the Rock N' Jock 25-point basket?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Raising the rims won't and can't happen for reasons that have nothing to do with dunking. If they raised the rims, you'd see shooting percentages in the teens. It would be far less entertaining than having to "endure" a few dunks a game.

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

If humans keep getting taller on average, and seven feet becomes the new six, raising the rims would make sense.

It's not something that would happen soon, if ever. Very much hypothetical.

Draft saved Draft deleted