1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The downside of winter...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't look forward to the end of winter as much as I look forward to the end of summer.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do you have school-age kids?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I second the wood stove.
    Living in Seattle there was a major wind storm on Clinton's first inauguration day and my street was without power for a full week. I don't recall it getting that cold out, but no power for a week gets pretty lame. I remember having the wood stove roaring the entire time.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Upside to winter? A phrase that should only apply to school age children and skiers.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I remember one time about 15 years ago when a big storm knocked out power to our surrounding area in the middle of July.

Yeah, it sucked not having air conditioning. But it sucked even more not being able to take a shower, flush the toilet or keep food cold in the refrigerator or freezer. There was a huge run on dry ice in the area to try and keep whatever hadn't spoiled fresh.

It sucked, but not nearly as much as losing heat in the dead of winter.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

For the record, Mr. Rosie has never said no to getting a generator. Actually, he's usually the one who brings it up, we talk about it, decide it would be a good idea and like so many good ideas, it is promptly forgotten about.

Up until a few years ago, we had a wood furnace. Sure would have been nice to have it back last night. :)

7. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Back in the day, the cabin on the Kawishiwi would be without power for a week or two. Two of those old AirTite stoves would keep the one room at 60 degrees. That was fine. There were three cord winters and then there were four cord winters.

Luckily, the cabin was just downstream of a small rapids, so the river was ice free along the shore by the sauna. Nothing better than a dip in the water after a good sauna. Beats the heck out of rolling in the snow when the temperature is minus 30.

Don't miss it all, Rosie. Well, I miss the lakes and the fishing and paddling past the moose and listening to loons and getting lost in the Northern Lights.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

And you and I, inky, know the proper pronunciation of sauna is SOW-nuh.

Say it any other way and the Finlanders will riot.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

To be honest I don't really know what this post is about, but is it kind of like The Nick Adams Stories?

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Angola, I weep for you.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

K, I'm too stupid to live. ;)

Mr. Rosie just came home a little while ago. So, of course, we're talking about the big power outage.

"Ya know," I said. "We might want to think about getting a generator."

"We have one. It's out in the garage."

"What?"

"Yeah. Got it a while back."

I swear, as God as my witness, I had no idea the Rosie homestead had a generator.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thanks.
    What is the deal with the sauna talk? Is that like a sauna in a gym?

Draft saved Draft deleted