1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Departed (the let's-get-Marty-tied-with-3 6 Mafia thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

One of my favorite reviewers, the Sun-Sentinel's Phoebe Flowers, doesn't toss four stars around lightly, but she has given that rating to Scorsese's latest work. I can't wait to see this.

By Phoebe Flowers
    Sun-Sentinel

It's risky to declare a movie the best of its year when the year has yet to fully play out. But even if it had come out nine months ago, there is little doubt that anything you see this year -- frankly, anything of its genre you've seen in any recent year -- could surpass The Departed.

It's also simply wrong to declare this elegantly convoluted crime drama, adapted from the Hong Kong thriller Infernal Affairs and relocated to Boston, vintage Martin Scorsese. While The Departed is by far the best film he's made in many, many years (nothing since 1990's Goodfellas even comes close), it marks not just a return to form but also a genuine evolution. Scorsese has rediscovered, and revitalized, his voice, and with this work he shouts it from the rafters.

http://www.southflorida.com/movies/sfl-shdepartedoct06,0,4356560.story?coll=sfe-movies-promo

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Fuck, I really wanna see this. I've heard nothing but great reviews. When Scorsese does the Mob, it's always a keeper.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Some of the reviews have me confused. I've seen a couple that mention how funny the movie is. Is it a drama with some comedy thrown in?

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Flowers said Marky Mark is hilarious.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

With that cast, it's almost guaranteed to be good.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The NYT gives it a decent review.

http://movies2.nytimes.com/2006/10/06/movies/06depa.html?8dpc

I miss Ebert. He usually sucks Scorcese off, but this is the type of Friday where I coulnd't wait to read his review of a movie like this.

7. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

I can't wait to see this shit.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Saw a trailer for this the other night...looks sensational, which is what you expect when Scorcese does a mob movie

9. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

The Times said that the beginning and end were fantastic but there was a lull in the middle. Still the best movie of the year so far...

10. Was fantastic. Great cast, great story. Doesn't stray too far from Infernal Affairs other than the over-the-top Boston accents and the ending. Still phenomenal. Kept me on the edge of my seat even though I already saw the origional and pretty much knew what was going to happen for much of it.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The best movie of the year is A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints. The Departed should be a close second.

12. I would just like to meet someone named Phoebe Flowers.
    Sounds like someone out of a Donovan song.

Draft saved Draft deleted