1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Oct 27, 2008.

1. When it's the right people getting killed. ... Yes.

I don't believe in god. So I don't believe that people like Ted Bundy, Larry Gene Bell, the Green River Killer and 100,000 or so other fucks who have - like the cocksucker who kidnapped those kids in Idaho (Shasta and David Greene) and abused, tortured and killed them (the boy) - will get any comeuppance in the afterlife.
    They are despicable enough to warrant an end-of-life penalty.
    There are people on this earth who do not deserve life. Who have forfeited the pleasure of living - The right to share oxygen with their fellow man.
    I can trust a jury and an appeals system to follow through and filter the innocent from the death penalty.

Also, jail is supposed to be for rehab. If a person can't be rebabbed (I'm also against life in prison without the possibilty of parole - either death or a chance to be free) they have been deemed incorrigible. If that is the case, end of life is a justified means.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Jail is not for rehabilitation. Jail is punishment.
    Life in prison without parole means those people who you say have forfeited the pleasue of life will not have any pleasure in their life and will not share your precious oxygen.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, why is someone who kills a cop worse than someone who shoots a 7-11 clerk? I don't get it.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Because police officers put their lives on the line for us every day. Every traffic stop, every benign house call could be the one that ends their life. And for that service, a crime against one of those very special men and women should be worth an extra punishment.

And for those that still don't get it, you probably never will.

5. See, that last line is totally unnecessarily. Can't reasonable people have a disagreement on philosophy/issues without it getting personal? I guess not, and definitely not in the age of the Intertubes.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I get it in the sense that I understand that the thought is that it would help protect police officers.

But I don't see why someone who shoots an armed cop is more deserving to die than someone who kills an unarmed civilian.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think part of the thinking is that someone who kills a cop is more of a threat to society. If they have no fear of killing an armed officer they aren't going to be afraid to kill anyone else.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Based on your rationale here, then every time we go to war, we should determine how many bombs we drop or how generous we should be in peace negotiations by the number of our servicemen and women who were killed.

9. Matt1735

Waylon, my answer wasn't meant to be personal against Ace or you, but I'm the son of a police officer, so the question was very personal to me. Notice, however, that I said an extra punishment, not the death penalty.

As I have previously stated, I used to be 100 percent for it; now, I understand the faults of our judicial system and that any error in enforcing the death penalty cannot be undone.

There is still a place for it in society. And where it is legal, it needs to be enforced in a much more swift manner than it is today.

10. Matt1735

No, war is completely different than heinous criminal acts.

11. I'm OK with your opinion on it, and I can understand why cop killing is treated differently than other murders.

I just didn't like the "If you don't get it ..." slam at the end. Thought it was condescending and unnecessary.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can live with an "extra penalty." I think that's fair.

I just didn't understand Mizzou's mindset.

Draft saved Draft deleted