1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dark Knight Rises. There be SPOILERS here.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Dec 19, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

If I remember correctly, Venom was the character that the studios forced on Raimi, so it makes sense that he was a bit marginalized.

2. outofplace

I don't think they will kill him. I think it was more hinting at Bane breaking his back. Personally, I'd rather see him dead or functional rather than leave things more open-ended.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

"I'm getting too old for this shit." It ALWAYS works!

4. Re: The Dark Knight Rises

I don't know that Nolan is seminal. But I look at it as simply as this: The man doesn't make bad movies. He's the directing equivalent to Leo. Going to see a Nolan or Leo movie is, at least 90 percent of the time, an excellent experience.

That said, I didn't care for Insomnia. The name John Dormer was a dumb cliche, Robin Williams was ineffective as a villain, and the story was a bit unsatisfying.

OK, maybe 74 percent of the time.

Obviously everyone is entitled to an opinion; I'm just surprised people wouldn't like Inception. I'm pretty tough on movies, especially hyped ones, but I thought it was the best movie of the year. Not the best picture -- King's Speech rightly won, for overall brilliance -- but the best ride.

5. Re: The Dark Knight Rises

I stopped reading comics a very long time ago, but one of the great and dark series of my younger years was the "Knightfall" storyline, in which Bane broke Batman's back. Maybe this is covered better in the graphic novels or some of the side stories, but I just remember how great that was. I have kind of a feeling that this will follow that story; that an unmasked Bruce Wayne will be "broken" and that he'll need to get healthy and kick Bane's ass once and for all.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I doubt they'll set up a storyline where Wayne "needs to get healthy and kick Bane's ass."

They're not setting up a sequel, they're wrapping up this version of the storyline.

I think they'll wrap it up with him healthy but not believing he has to do it anymore (or maybe that it's doing any good).

Leaving the possibility for somebody else to pick things up in 6-8 years or so with a major pivotal event for Bruce Wayne, maybe introducing a new character, who reminds him why he started doing it in the first place.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if Batman sits on a shelf for eight years. Four, maybe.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, it will be four years between TDK and TDKR, and that was a direct sequel.

I think they'll skip a turn in the rotation (WB/DC is really hoping the Nolan-supervised Superman franchise takes off in the interim) to build up anticipation when Batman comes back (probably with new director, lead actors, etc etc).

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Inception" was a bad movie. I remember liking "Insomnia," though it's been a few years. (Saw it in the theater.)

I didn't find "Inception" to be an enjoyable ride because I just didn't care about the characters whatsoever. They were an afterthought. Without character, plot means shit to me.

10. outofplace

I just don't see how they could do a version of Knightfall in one movie, unless they only do part of it and have somebody else take up the Batman mantle and stop Bane.

What I really would love to see, though I don't know if it would be possible in the movies, is No Man's Land. I wasn't reading the comics at the time, but I read a novelization of it written by Greg Rucka which was fantastic and would absolutely fit in the "Nolan-verse" in terms of tone and style.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I thought I read where they really want to make a Superman/Batman movie.

So I Nolan's Superman movie does well, then a World's Finest might become a reality.

Of course I've also read Nolan saying Superman couldn't exist in Bale's Batman world. Basically a super powered alien doesn't work in Nolan's gritty vision.

12. outofplace

If Nolan really wanted to do it, I think he could pull it off and take advantage how jarring it would be to have something so alien dropped into his very grounded version of reality.

Based on his past comments, I just don't see him wanting to try.

Draft saved Draft deleted