1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dark Knight Rises. There be SPOILERS here.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

The theme, text and subtext of 'Inception' was 'Spectacle = $.' As is the theme, text and subtext of the upcoming 'Batman.' It's also the motto painted on the street signs in Brentwood.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You. Are. Insane.

3. NDub

NDub Guest

No shit. Inception rocked. And he made movies between Memento and Inception not to do with Batman.

Onto the TDKR:

Bane is going to break Bats. Everything hints at it. And this line from the trailer, spoken by Bane as he's crouched over a bloodied, mask-less Batman (or was it just regular Bruce Wayne?) is haunting and foreshadowing: "When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

4. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

This is one of the very few (perhaps the only) franchises where I don't think three films is enough. That trailer made me sad this'll be his (supposedly) last venture into "Batman." Of course, if it does well enough, $$$ may lure Bale and Nolan back in a few years.

I just hope it ends on a high note. Though given Nolan's "Batman" track record, no reason to think it won't.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One of my favorite post-movie experiences the last couple years was going online after watching "Inception" and finding critics who skewered it for the same issues I had with it.

Terrible fucking movie. Just terrible.

6. Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Right. Awful.

I didn't read many criticisms of the movie, other than it was occasionally hard to follow. I understand it's a matter of taste, but Inception was one of the grand, sweeping, events of a movie that I have seen in years. I found it brilliant and occasionally literary. I am sorry you didn't share this experience.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Was one of the "grand, sweeping" scenes when Leonardo DiCaprio and Ellen Page dumped on-the-nose sci-fi exposition on us for 20 minutes early on?

Or when JGL floated around a hallway for no apparent purpose?

Or the 30-minute snow battle from "Empire Strikes Back"?

I am really shocked that "Inception" was as universally hailed as it was. I think a lot had to do with the name of the director. It crammed in lots of sci-fi mumbo jumbo and as much plot as the screen could handle, and a lot of people seem to mistake that for craft.

It might have been a movie I should have seen on the big screen instead of a small TV in my basement. That being said, being overwhelmed with spectacle would only patch over the glaring screenplay flaws. As a story, it was an unmitigated disaster.

But I digress.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Spectacle = $" first appeared in a mosaic in the lobby of the Colosseum; was later used as the motto on the $500,000 bill (under the picture of Michael Bay); and is tattooed on the inside of Brett Ratner's eyelids.

9. NDub

NDub Guest

How about we stick to The Dark Knight Rises?

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Why derail a good discussion? We have 2 minutes of footage of TDKR to discuss. Nothing wrong with letting the conversation flow.

That said, I loved "Inception" and didn't find it "overly complicated" in any way. In fact, it was pretty much a linear storyline. JGL certainly wasn't floating for no reason and it wasn't difficult to follow why he was floating.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

[Boom goes the dynamite.]

Say what?

[Exit. Pursued by a bear.]

12. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Terrence Malick, Steven Sodeberg, The Coen Brothers, Alfonso Cuarón, Alejandro González Iñárritu all shiiieeeeaaat on Christopher Nolan.

Like, big ol' donkey shit.

In my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted