1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dark Knight is the best movie since...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 24, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't say it any better than that.

Same reason why Hilary Swank was so phenomenal in Million Dollar Baby. Hard to overcome the urge to "act" when you're strapped into a hospital bed and can't move. But she did it anyway. ... That's the feeling I got from Ledger in Brokeback Mountain, under different circumstances.

2. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

We'll respectfully agree to disagree there. Got no problems with that.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There Will Be Blood.

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Really? What about Knocked up? Superbad? Old School?

Dark Knight is a good movie. But it's an evergreen. It does not define our times, it merely exists in it. If you want to talk defining movies, I would say Knocked up or Superbad are on top of the list, right now.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Oh, Christ. Mizzou, you forgot the blue font.

I was softening my stance, liking Dark Knight more and more despite its flaws, and despite the insipid lovefest - "Best comic movie EVER!!!! Ledger should win an OSCAR!!!!!!! MASTERPIECE!!!!!!!!!! BLLOOUUGGHHHHHH!!!!!! . . OK, get me a few Kleenex, please" - but now I see this thread.

Sigh. It was a very good, probably excellent, superhero film. Like its predecessor, it worked as a non-superhero film, absolutely. I'll buy it the first day it comes out on DVD.

But for my personal preferences - which don't depend on a movie being "DARRRKKKK!!!!!!" for me to like it - there have been a few films in the superhero genre which I enjoyed just as much as Dark Knight. That's why my answer to the thread title was "Iron Man."

Personal taste, I suppose.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Knocked up is a defining movie? Yikes!

(I avoid comment on Superbad, which I have not seen).

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Haven't seen Dark Knight yet (probably this weekend) but Ledger's performance in Brokeback is one for the ages.

Purely minimalist acting. Sheer brilliance in a movie that was denigrated as "that gay cowboy flick".

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Both good movies but no way did I notice the type of buzz for either that the Dark Knight is getting. I don't remember talking about either of those except for right after I saw them when we were walking out of the theater.

Edit: Like oop said, no way is that a defining movie.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The universal acclaim for TDK amazes me.

Men and women alike love the movie. Comic fans and noncomic fans love the movie. Movie snobs and summer-blockbuster fans love this movie. Heath and non-Heath fans love Heath.

Then you have Heath Ledger's death making this a transcendent moment in movie-making. It's the LeBron James of movies in that it is exceeding the hype. It's Oscar-worthy, so it will be something everyone's talking about until early next year.

Perhaps the biggest event movie since E.T.?

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Meh...

Just wait till The Road in November. That may be the movie that defines our times.

11. wizardofgore

wizardofgore New Member

The Dark Knight sucked.

Did anyone actually like this piece of crap?

Seriously.

Here are my harsh thoughts on it:

http://www.pollystaffle.com/thrillers/thedarkknight.shtml

12. I'm almost with Mizzou. My first thought of an answer was Fight Club, but I'd be overlooking the three Lord of the Rings films.
    For me, this is the best one I've seen since Return of the King (which is now four years ago; wow).
    I think Ledger's performance was better here than in Brokeback. I point to one simple thing — I have seen this twice and could not wait for him to get back on screen each time. I wasn't even near that ballpark with Brokeback (which was a well-acted but boring film).

Draft saved Draft deleted