1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Daily lays off a third of staff, sports takes big hit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by As The Crow Flies, Jul 31, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I had this for a one-month free trial a couple years ago. Very slick design -- close to what I think a lot of us would envision a fully digital newspaper being.

The writing sucked. No depth, no nothing. I didn't recognize the names and maybe they were trying to write for a preordained style, but the product was all sizzle and no steak.

2. Yeah, the writing was weak off the launch and maybe they needed to do fewer stories, but with more depth. I think they made a mistake walling it all off, too, once the free period ended. I still use the NYT app a lot because I can read the top stories and watch videos for free. You have to get people hooked. The design is really great, though. I hope it doesn't go away.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hopefully Wolken winds up at USA Today. When you're at that level, you don't stay unemployed long...

4. Simon

Simon Active Member

Reminded me of Sporting News Today in so many ways. Great idea, great design, horrible writing and bad content.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It was one of those things that when it launched, it was not a reach to think, "No way is this going to work..."

6. accguy

accguy Member

I signed up for it and read it for about a month. I thought it was slick, but I thought much of writing was super shallow.

There was also too much celeb gossip/weird talker stories and not enough substance for me.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Mizzougrad called it. Wolken's going to be covering college football at USA Today.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Glad to hear. He's too good to be jobless.

Draft saved Draft deleted