1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The curious case of the Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Toby Keith is the most over the top. He doesn't even try to be thoughtful or nuanced or anything.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And you know what? I can almost handle him. At least he's kind of angry and pissed off and in your face.

The morons I can't stomach are the ones who lament about how libs are taking Jesus out of schools, for example, and construct some ridiculously mournful persona crooning about it. Or who belt out the same tired jokes about climate change or evolution cribbed from conservative talk radio, like they're the smartest person on two legs, sticking it to those godless liberals.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Toby Keith is a Democrat, and a fan of both Bill Clinton and Barack Obama:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/19/toby-keith-praises-obama_n_119930.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/toby-keith-says-president-obama-is-doing-the-best-he-can

In the aftermath of 9/11, he was patriotic, pro-troop, and supported our incumbent President.

He's traveled to Iraq, Afghanistan, and Kuwait:

http://www.defense.gov/News/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=54109

He's gone on at least 9 USO tours.

It wasn't just lip service.

4. Dick Whitman

I think that Toby Keith and Natalie Maines were both sincere in their beliefs.

5. YankeeFan

Sure.

But, Maines offended people -- even some who disagreed with George W. Bush -- because she claimed to be embarrassed to be from the same state as the President, and because she did it on foreign soil.

If she had made a statement in support of peace, or against the war, I think the response would have been different, especially if she did it in the U.S.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He also donated to Rick Perry and in 2011 said he was a registered independent.

And he makes lousy music that is unlistenable - except for "Red Solo Cup."

7. Dick Whitman

If Jason Aldean waltzed onto a stage tonight in Tehran and said he was embarrassed to be from the same country as Barack Obama, country music fans would commission a statute of him.

8. YankeeFan

I don't know who that is. Is he some famous Kenyan?

9. Dick Whitman

He's apparently a country star.

I had to look up the charts to find one.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Toby Keith may be a great guy, but his songs are pandering claptrap.

11. YankeeFan

A country star from Kenya?

So, I guess he joins Charley Pride and Darius Rucker as famous black country stars.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Well, the big difference is he wouldn't be offending a large segment of his fans.

Draft saved Draft deleted