1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The creepiness that is Spokeo.com

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Apr 6, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If spokeo is right about who you live with, I'm on the road this afternoon on my way there.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Hmm. Apparently, I still live at home with my parents in a $1 million structure with no central heating. Epic. Fail.

3. bwright

bwright Member

Well I, along with my father, am African-American. Dad's not going to take that well...

Interestingly enough, it has me listed as living in my hometown at my parents' address, but dad lives at a vacation home.

4. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

My grandmother, who turns 86 this month, apparently plays sports.

But forget that, I'm more mad about her lying to me all these years about having central air when I visited in the summer.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Let's see...it doesn't even have a real address for me, but simply says I live in the residence hall I lived in four years ago at college.

It says I'm in a relationship....that's been done for two and a half years.

About the only thing it has right is I'm white, I have no children and I'm not interested in politics.

EDIT: I went and looked up my parents. They don't have children, my dad will be thrilled to hear that at age 54, he's "late-50s." And that he "likes country music", "reads about health, medical and world politics" and "enjoys food and wine". (The food he likes. The wine, not so much.)

Is there any person on here who wouldn't have "enjoys entertainment"??

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Me: Claims my house is worth $1M and that it was built in 1976.
    Facts: My aunt offered it to me for $18K. She paid $12K. I just decided to rent. And it was very likely built before 1900. We're certain because we know it originally didn't have a kitchen, electricity or indoor plumbing.
    Freaky thing: It had a picture of me that used to be my profile pic when I had a MySpace account. Fortunately, it's so tiny that no one could get anything out of it.

My sister: Says she's married, is a homeowner and has no children (which is contradicted when you scroll down and it says "has children" under "Lifestyle and Interests.").
    Facts: She's never been married nor has she ever owned a house. And she has two kids.

My dad: He's shown as in his mid-50s. His profile also lists me and my sister as part of the household and my sister as "decision maker."
    Fact: He's turning 67 this month. And he's making the decisions, dammit. :D

My mom has two profiles. She has one under her legal name and another under her nickname. The site knows practically nothing about her nickname and lists it as "In a relationship" rather than married. However, the two identities do have the same address as my dad although each one has lived there a different length of time (and neither as long as it says my dad has lived there).

I'm wondering if the system thinks my dad is cheating on my mom with ... my mom.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

My dad and I have exact same profiles, except for the address. We're both in our late 30s with no kids. He's single, it says. I'm married to two women, it says. One is my wife. One is my wife with her name spelled wrong.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

They have almost no information on me. My address is wrong - don't know how that happened - I've never heard of that street. They say I'm not interested in politics! HA! That tells me that I've done a good job keeping my politics and my career separate. They list as my interests things that I have no interest in. They've got almost nothing on me.

One thing that has to have helped is that I keep Facebook very bare bones. I log in there about once a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted