1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The coroner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

So loooong story short, I'm waiting on an autopsy and toxicology report from the county coroner. I was told it would be 4-6 weeks, so I called at four weeks and the county coroner told me she was on vacation and no one else is authorized to discuss such matters. Call back in two weeks, she said.

So I did. That was Tuesday, and she told me the report was done but it had to be finalized and she had to review it before it could be released. She said it would be Thursday around 2 p.m. and that she would call me.

I called yesterday at 1:45 and left a message. I called at 3 and didn't leave one. I called at 4 and left another one. Finally, I called the main office and wound up speaking to the case manager, who said the report was done but the coroner had to review it first and she would not be in today.

This morning I went to the office and was there as they opened, and they told me they had no idea when the coroner would be in and reiterated that she is the only person authorized to speak on cases. I said I'd wait, and they said they had no idea how long it would be but that they would call me when she got in.

I left my number with them, then I called the coroner's cell (again) and left a message (again). Right now my whole day is on hold (again) until I get in touch with her, and I really just want this to be done and over with.

Anyone else have any experience like this? Am I just super lucky?

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I believe I'd start putting in FOI requests to see the coroner's personnel file, to determine how much vacation time she's taking. :)

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not a bad idea. Coroners can be pains in the ass. Have you tried going through the district attorney's office?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Why? It's not the coroner's job to be at your beck-and-call.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Beck and call roughly can be defined as obeying someone's orders instantly and being subject to that person's slightest whim.

From what Bucknutty related, he has no expectation that the coroner be at his beck and call. In fact, they gave him their own deadline, he waited and called then, and they still didn't provide the results he had asked for when they said they would have them.

He's not being unreasonable.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Maybe she died.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This coroner would never treat you that way:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. turski7

turski7 Member

Call coroner again. If you get the same response, call the DA's office and local police/sheriff's office to see if they have a copy of the report. If all else fails, contact coroner's supervisor and ask the reason for such a delay.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Could the coroner's stalling become a story in and of itself if it goes on long enough?

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

That's quite a reach when you read about how many times he has tried.

11. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

He wasn't a coroner. He was a medical examiner. Big difference. ME's are usually doctors and appointed. Coroners are elected, and you don't always have to be a doctor for the job.
    And yes, in my experience, coroners are bastards to get a hold of.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Geez, you're no fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted