1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Continued Pussification of American Youth

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Zeek, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

These are the individuals who are going to be expected someday to win the "war on terror."

EStreetJoe wrote:
    In no particular order, MTV, soccer, the Internet, ESPN, participatory awards, massive growth of the suburbs, nationally broadcasted spelling bees, The People's Court and a culture that is infinitely more self-centered than it's been in 40,000 years of recorded human civilization.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

We finally agree on something. As Mel Allen would say, How 'bout that?

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

We agree on that, but we are never going to agree on how to fix this bullshit. And that's really the failure.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Hear, hear!

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

We just like to put down what we can't have. Errr, that's what those other guys do. Yeah, that's it. I never have a problem. No siree bob!

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You should see "You're A Big Boy Now." He's not so much funny, but sharp as a whip.

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I can relate to your situation in a way. My sister plays in an under-12 softball league and she's probably one of the better players on it. Anyhoo, one game she came in for relief on the mound and gave up the winning runs. She was devastated, completely devastated. She pretty much cried the whole way home and when we did get home, she went outside and pitched into the net we have set up at the house for an hour. So, I think she cares, a lot. Another instance is when she struck out three times in a game; she never strikes out; her team lost and she was more pissed about fanning than losing. Welp, she's back into soccer mode for now.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

McDonald's got sued because the elderly woman who suffered serious burns on her lap felt that, perhaps, she shouldn't have suffered third-degree burns and have skin grafts from a spilled cup of coffee. At trial, it came out that there were several hundred other claims of injury from coffee kept at 180 degrees and over, compared to 135-140 from your own coffee pot. At the time, McDonald's standards called for coffee to be heated to 185 degrees. When spilled in your lap at that temperature, it burns through the skin in 2-7 seconds. Imagine that, with skin grafts to your privates. The company had known for 10 years that people, 700 by some reports, were getting burned, including its own employees, and did nothing to change it.

McDonald's lost the case and settled out of court on appeal. It was a long way from frivolous, once you spend 10 seconds researching.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did your skin grafts' take?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Can't believe it took three pages before a post like this showed up. We're losing our edge here people...

My playground days included giant games of keep-away between the kids in my grade and the kids in the grade ahead of us. Somebody would bring a Nerf ball to recess. Somebody else would take it and it was go time. 40 kids hopped up on orangeaid and PBJ sandwiches running all over the playground, around the swings, slides, merry-go-round, etc., around the ballfield, around the parking lot, scaring the shit out of the little kids while we tried to maim the hell out of the kid from the other class with the ball. Whichever class got the ball to the front door when the recess bell went off won that day.

We also had a great game with the oh-so politically incorrect name of "blackman". One kid would stand in the middle of the field. Everybody else was at one end. The object was to get to the other end without the kid tackling you. If he did, you had to stay in the middle and help him. Eventually you had one kid trying to get across the field while everybody else tried to tackle him.

Speaking of lawsuits and how times have changed, my sister damn near died jumping off of the merry-go-round at our school. She jumped off as somebody else was trying to jump on, they collided and she cracked her head on the concrete when she fell. If that happened today the kid's family would own a school district. Back then she just missed a few days of school.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

If he's the PE teacher in your local elementary and his brothers are the local superintendent AND the top defense lawyer....

Recruit every damn one of those kids for the war on terror.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Ay, there's the rub.

Today's journalist shoots first and aims later.

Draft saved Draft deleted