1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Continued Pussification of American Youth

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Zeek, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Zeek

Zeek Member

More schools banning games like tag and touch football at recess. Apparently they're too rough. God, this makes me sick. I can remember going to recess and playing huge games of "Smear the Queer" and football. Those were the days...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-06-26-recess-bans_x.htm

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Did they ever institute the rule 'no throwing at the head' for dodgeball? I think, even if it was a rule, we went for the head anyway.

3. Zeek

Zeek Member

If you hit someone in the head, you're out.  At least that's how we played it...

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Only thing I remember, and my memory is a bit hazy, is that "if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Good God, the banning of these sports is ridiculous. You don't want your little angel to play, write a damn note, go talk to the instructor. But dammit, banning them for everyone is simply insane.

The same goes for these sports leagues where no score is kept. WTF? We recently had a couple of these pop up in my city. They didn't last, thank God. What are these people thinking about? It's not good for a kid to lose -- ever?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for all these parents, but if you prohibit your child from ever doing anything remotely dangerous, never allow them to lose and attempt to protect them from everything that could be harmful, you're gonna have one seriously, seriously screwed up kid on your hands. I hope you love that little shit, 'cause something tells me you're gonna be housing and feeding his ass well into his 30s.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm proud to say my little girls' t-ball team won 33-27 last night. They also made some really nice looking piles of dirt while playing third base and not watching the batter.

We're 5-0-1 so far with three more games to play.

I, on the other hand, played on some really, really bad little league baseball teams. I also finished way in the back of the field when I ran high school cross country. I got off the bench in only half of the basketball games my senior year and scored 1.3 points per game. I think I turned out OK, but hope my girls don't think they get a hit every time they bat in the future.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I played for the world's worst little league baseball team. We got thumped by two or three touchdowns on a regular basis. I can't remember a game where we were even within 10 runs of winning.

Don't know if I'm better for it, but it makes me savor any win, even a rec-league softball win, a little more.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Since when did tag & touch football constitute "dangerous" activities?

There was one year when my kid played on a hockey team (Minor Peewee, 11 year olds). They went 0-42 for the season. The York Toros organization never recovered.

Didn't tie a game. Didn't win a pre-season game or a single game in the three tournaments they played in.

9. Zeek

Zeek Member

Same here.  I played Little Leauge for three years and we never won a game.  

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Zeek--I promise if anyone showed up on my playground and calls me or my girlfriends a pussy, I would kick their ass so hard they would land three counties to the east.

Find a new insult, would ya? If Ozzie can learn, so can we all.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

It's not whether you win or lose that counts, it's how play with the piles of dirt. :)

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I thought this was another thread about America's youth getting more trim than I did as a youth. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted