1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The complaints you don't hear

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes, there is. I knew one from my hometown paper, and years later, I'm still very good friends her - and her husband.

But one other was hired there who was a stirrer of the highest order. Combine that with another sports scribe who loved drama and we had ourselves quite a gossip pit.

2. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Oh yeah, I've had a 1,000 of them over the years. One of my favorite was a cross country mom who called after her daughter's team won a state championship to snidely ask if there was going to be anything in the next day's paper.

I told her, "You're daughter just won a state championship, and this is what's on your mind right now? Go celebrate."

The kicker? Woman's name is Gay.

On topic here: I think the major problem with photogs is that they want to kick some ass, but they're really just sensative artists.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

The photogs I work with are cool.

The one you work with sp? Sounds like a dick to me, and I wouldn't take what he says too seriously.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

chicken dinner.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no they aren't.

you know how i know that little tidbit? you just said they were photogs.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Well I haven't been there for too long. But so far so good.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

tick tock.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So what would you have done if the match had been on the schedule?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd have sent somebody to it.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Then I would get in touch with the coach myself and explain that you use the schedule that she provides to run in the paper and also to plan coverage and that if there are changes on the schedule you need to know that so that you can cover those matches and let the fans know.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Already sent a very courteous, almost apologetic, e-mail along those lines. Haven't gotten a reply from her yet.

12. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Yes, there are people dissatisfied with coverage. No, there is nothing you can do about it. Yes, if you wrote a 15-inch glowing feature every day on every player in your coverage area, there would be unhappy readers. No, there is nothing you can do about it.
    Yes, the photog is a jerk. No, there is nothing you can do about it.
    If it helps to blow off steam by posting here, go ahead. Otherwise, don't drive yourself crazy obsessing over every little complaint (ESPECIALLY the second-hand ones). You will die a slow death and gain nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted