1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The complaints you don't hear

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This afternoon, our photo editor (the guy who thinks I should get rid of a football stringer because he's a selectman) told me that when he was out at a game in one of the towns I cover, many people told him they were unhappy with the job I was doing.
    As is often the case when this guy says this, none of those people have ever called or e-mailed me to express their dissatisfaction.
    In every edition, my name, e-mail, phone number, fax number and mailing address are in the paper. It seems to me that anyone who really wants to get in touch with me can.
    Of course, I tell that to this photo editor and his answer is "You need to get out into your towns more and interact with the readers."
    Well, if a person isn't going to express their dissatisfaction to me from the safety of their telephone or computer, why would he say anything to my face?
    Could it be that I am not as accessible as I think I am? Could there be a group of readers who are unhappy with the job I'm doing but for whatever reason don't want to tell me that?
    Should I be concerned with this group of people?

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I can't believe the photog felt compelled to tell you this.
    I also think he's full of shit. Just trying to get under your skin and make you feel insecure.

How awkward was your conversation with him? Because I would feel like a real dick telling someone that, even if it were true.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

You have already wasted far too many brain cells thinking about this. Stop. Just stop. This photog likes to fuck with you because he knows he can.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Heard this through the grapevine at my former shop: A mom of one of the football players at one of the schools wasn't happy with my coverage of her son or something to that effect. We had a few mutual friends throughout the county, and I told them to relay to her that she could get in touch with me personally about any concerns she had about my coverage.

Never heard a peep out of her, and the kid (now a sophomore in college) and I are pretty good friends (he isn't playing sports at his college, and I don't cover said college).

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

While his method was cowardly, I will ask this: Do you get out and interact enough?
    Not being a dick. Don't know you and I know people always talk easier behind your back than to my face (myself included, I'm human). But is it true?

6. Smallpotatoes

I usually got to 2-5 games a week during the school sports season.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Photogs are a different breed.

8. Smallpotatoes

Do they all tend to think the world revolves around them?

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Get on a public computer, make up a fake e-mail address and send the photog a note that says ...

Your photographs have sucked lately. Please try to make them suck less.

Sincerely,
    Angry Parent

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ok... if you don't broach it, you don't know...

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Most.

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

The photog probably isn't getting any at home and feels insecure about that. Hey, that's an idea. Tell him his wife came into the office bawling the other day and confided in you....

Draft saved Draft deleted