1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Comedy Central Roast of.......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

"Could someone find her an 80-year-old dick to suck on?"

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

these roasts all suck. i guess i'm just being an old man but the dean martin roasts of old were actually funny. the comedy central ones just revolve around filth.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

While it is a changing society, don't for a second think the old Friar's Club roasts in New York -- involving many of the same Dean Martin regulars -- were G rated. The cleaned it up for TV; now TV's standards have changed.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i don't mind going a little blue but the ones today rely on nothing but that. to me, a good comic doesn't need that. it's just lazy. i feel like i'm channeling bill cosby.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I wish they had better roastees. Hasselhof, Flava Flav, Pamela Anderson, Shatner - they're all lame.

Comedians roasting comedians = good
    Comedians roasting real stars = good

6. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Have they done Chris Rock yet? And I feel like Eddie Murphy would be perfect for this.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

That's why Norm MacDonald's roast of Bob Saget was so great. A roast of the roasters. Pointing out the laziness and hackiness of the other roasters' jokes and their stupid grins glossing over the fact that they didn't understand that he was depantsing them on camera.

8. But that's what 85 percent of the roasts are. The roasters taking shots at their fellow roasters.
    I predict 80 percent of the jokes about Lisa Lampenelli will involve dicks and black guys.

Ross and Giraldo are good. The rest of that cast supers sucks.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know - I like that they seem to go after obvious targets of ridicule. The roast of Dennis Leary was good. Jeff Foxworthy, not so good. That people are taking shots at the Hoff for his "cheeseburger" video make me think that few punches will be pulled.
    I'm especially looking forward to the shots taken at the other roasters, esp. Hamilton, Hogan and Springer.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

They weren't, but part of the appeal was hearing people like Johnny Carson work blue. Audio tapes of those roasts used to circulate on the underground.

Now that everybody is making BJ jokes on basic cable, it doesn't have the shock value it once did. And the people participating on roasts are often a notch below those who were famous for being game show panelists.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A Jay Leno Roast - featuring Letterman, Conan, Kimmel, Stewart, could be brutally funny.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Giraldo, Ross and Godfried are great. Some of the other comedians are OK.
    I know much of the show is making fun of the other roasters as much as the roastee. I just think it lame when the roastee is some schmuck or nobody. Bob Saget, Denis Leary and Jeff Foxworthy aren't big stars, but I give those shows a pass because the roastees were comics. I don't get as much of a kick when the roastee is neither a comic nor a star, such as Pamela Anderson or Flava Flav or Shatner.
    Either get a comic or get an actual star.

Draft saved Draft deleted