1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Colony

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by AreaMan, Jul 22, 2009.

1. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Anybody catch the premiere on Discovery Channel. Looks pretty good so far. Though I wonder where exactly in LA they shot this.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

AA: I had seen the previews for this and the idea seemed kind of cool.

Was it worth your time?

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Missed it tonight at work, but I'll be on the lookout for reruns. Looks pretty cool.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is this based on the John Ritter movie of the same name?

5. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I thought the "survivors" they have are a nice mix. There's a doctor, nurse, aerospace engineer, electrical engineer, handyman...etc.

They're stuck there 10 weeks, so it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. They showed some teasers of the upcoming episodes and it definitely caught my attention. Am I naive to believe that a reality show backed by the Discover Channel would be of better quality than the networks?

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

So, did anybody watch this show? I have to admit a friend of mine got me hooked on the first episode and I stuck with it until the end.

I haven't watched the finale yet (which is tonight).

Even though I watched the whole season, I have to admit I didn't really enjoy the show. Some of the things they built on the show were pretty cool and nice to know, in terms of survival. Other things — a gym with heavy bag, a record player, a movie projector — were kind of silly given the notion of wanting to get out of there as soon as possible.

But as I was discussing with aforementioned friend, they had to fill 12 or so episodes, so they were probably instructed not to make a hasty retreat from the warehouse.

Also, my biggest bone to pick with the show is the collective IQ of the group. If you're going to do a social experiment based on the end of civilization as we know it, why do you throw seven (obviously) smart people together. Even the big dumb monkey of the group had some amazing mechanical skills.

7. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I thought this thread was going to be about the crappy suburb where I grew up [The Colony, TX].

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I lived there too, albeit very briefly. The ColonySJ, unite!

9. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Yeah they've got like a NASA engineer and a construction expert.

Throw together 10 people who are like me and have no known survival-type skills and they all kill each other by the 3rd episode.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

They should have picked a rich couple, an actress, a professor, an ingenue ... hmm, hold on a minute.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is based on Chuck Palahniuk's 'Haunted'?
    Not a good book but would make a good movie.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

small world, i was editor of a newspaper there

Draft saved Draft deleted