1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The college commitment/signing news conference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

return key break?

2. gottawrite

gottawrite Member

They removed it from my keyboard in a space-saving initiative.

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

When I say I "strong-armed" the kid onto the first team, I want to make clear that I wasn't running a PR campaign or cutting back-room deals.

Because of the nature of our state's geography/media coverage, players from our end of the state do not get the level of attention consistent with the number of scholarships they pull down and whatever other metrics you want to use to determine quality. At the time I was one of the more senior prep writers in the state and had seen past all-star players from all over. I knew what did and didn't constitute all-state material and knew that a lot of other voters were not as schooled. Further, I knew that my area's reputation as not much of a hoops town was going to work against any of our better kids -- some guys with ballots were going to vote based on reputation rather than reality.

In my estimation, our organization would have looked very stupid if this guy wasn't on the first team. And this was borne out a bit by the state finals, which were held a couple of days after the voting was completed. Kid had a huge final weekend against a pile of other Big East/Atlantic-10/MAAC recruits.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

they also removed the know-how to use the quote function?

6. gottawrite

gottawrite Member

Hey, I'm new, remember?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh shit. solid. still laughing.

i don't do this often, but here you go noob, one of the best beers i've had in a coupla weeks.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted