1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Collapse of MF Global

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 3, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is so stupid. One, I don't "belove" Jamie Dimon.

JP Morgan didn't do anything illegal. MF Global did. If you steal money to pay your rent, your landlord isn't an evil guy.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

But it helps the landlord remain profitable, doesn't it? And if every tenant in his apartment complex were paying their rent with embezzled money every month, he would still be very profitable and would probably be considered one of the highest performing, most respected landlords in the business.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Given the number of fines already levied against Chase during the Dimon jubilee, Corzine's really more like a thief using stolen funds to pay off a brothel operator.

www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2012/02/09/regulators-fine-biggest-banks-394.html

www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/15/jpmorgan-chase-to-pay-36-million-fines-risky-investments_n_1095157.html

www.dailykos.com/story/2011/06/24/988540/-JP-Morgan-Chase-Fined-For-Fraud-19-Billion-Demanded-By-Madoff-Trustee

www.theatlanticwire.com/business/2011/08/treasury-department-fines-jpmorgan-chase-883-million/41760/

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Once again, what MF Global did was criminal. JP Morgan had ZERO to do with it.

It shows just how irrational people are on here. Ya'll will twist yourselves farther than Stretch Armstrong to point a finger.

I can find links like those to small regulatory fines for any company as large as JP Morgan. And particularly financial services companies, which got scapegoated and became a particular focus of political grandstanding.

How about we just blame Microsoft for MF Global?

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/microsoft-fined-178m-in-patent-dispute-50004085/
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10216195-56.html
    http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=80162
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9880256-7.html

Bill Gates is like a brothel owner. MF Global owned computers. He's obviously part of this.

5. Point of Order

No, they didn't have zero to do with it. They might not be culpable, but they indeed DID have SOMETHING to do with it.

eta

I brought it up simply to point out that this man that you think is a great American and his business that you say is a scapegoat is actually entrenched in what has been an industry-wide fraud in the taking of homes, pensions, and 401Ks in order to feed their executive bonuses and shareholder demands.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's a good point. It's like how they blame gun store owners for selling
    a gun to a criminal.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I never blamed Chase for MF Global.

I compared JP Morgan Chase to a brothel.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're honestly being irrational here.

If you wanted to make an argument like this, you'd be better off looking at the Bear Stearns bailout, where a large chunk of the money went right to Goldman Sachs.

9. Point of Order

Happy to do so. I'm making an argument for industry-wide fraud, theft, and corruption at the expense of retirees, small investors, and homeowners to fund salaries, perks, and bonuses that are fundamentally unsustainable.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No criminal charges?

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That's crazy. Corzine should go to jail.

12. Point of Order

Thieves, all of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted