1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cloud: Do you, or will you, use it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jun 6, 2011.

?

The Cloud: Do you, or will you, use it?

1. Yes, I want to be able to access my files from anywhere.

42.9%
  2. No, I don't trust the security of it.

21.4%
  3. Maybe, eventually, I need to know more about it.

35.7%
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So Apple introduced its iCloud today, keeping up with, or staying ahead of, Google and Amazon.

I'm conflicted about this. It would be nice to be able to access my files from anywhere, but it seems awfully risky to put anything of value on the Cloud. It seems like if people moved in that direction, completely leaving behind their old hard drives so they can access their files from their tablet computers from anywhere, that it would create an enormous security risk.

I'm sure they have some kind of military-level encryption, but my theory is the the hackers will always find a way in eventually.

I could see using it to store movies, music and even photos, but I don't think I'd trust anything important to be on it.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What does it cost?

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I don't think I could rely solely on The Cloud. I might use it, but I'd want some kind of physical media stowed away somewhere to ease my rampant paranoia.

4. Mizzougrad96

I read something that said you could only store music that was purchased on iTunes. That kind of sucks...

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Free.

And Trooper, I'm with you on that too. I'll use the cloud, but I'll still back everything up on my external hard drives too.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I use my desktops at home and at work for file storage. I connect to both of them via iPad.
    I don't need a cloud; however, they're certainly viable options.
    If you use Google Docs or Dropbox, you're already using a tool that's similar in concept.

7. Mizzougrad96

I thought it was only free for 5G of space.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Everyone is going to be using the cloud. In fact I'd say everyone already is to some degree. But just as one further example, the iPhone 5 is going to be smaller and more powerful because it will be cloud-based so it won't need built-in storage.

9. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Google and Microsoft have had "clouds" forever - Apple is actually a little late to this party.

But I won't use any of them at the moment. I don't have that many devices, and I can keep my files safely on my hard drives and backed up on external drives.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'll be interested to see what happens when people put movies, TV shows and their favorite music on thecloud storage account, then try to access those things on an airplane or somewhere else with no network connectivity. There's going to be a big lack of consumer awareness on that issue that could blow back on Apple.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know a school division that keeps all of their servers (and records) in The Cloud. It saves a ton of money, but there is one little thing to worry about...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/may/26/block-big-brothers-internet-snoops/

Ruh - oh

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Definitely maybe. I can see how it would be convenient, but it hardly seems perfect.

Draft saved Draft deleted