1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cincinnati Post winds down

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing their staff will be snapped up quickly... That place has been a breeding ground for very talented writers for several years...

There have been a lot of really good Reds writers, including the current one...

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I used the word told in the metaphorical sense

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

frank, bb just has a thing for me, let it go. he knows not of what he speaks

4. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Don't flatter yourself, tough guy. I just wonder why a business would let a better entity tank for a worse one, and why, if that truly is what happened, anyone would want to work there in the first place?

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Because it is not really "a" business, it is two businesses that have joined in an unequal partnership. The minority partner gets a guaranteed cut of the JOA's profits for the term of the JOA while it allows its paper to wither and die, and in some cases (St. Louis and Miami, for example) gets a guaranteed cut of future profits for killing the paper before the JOA expires. It's a bad arrangement for the actual newspaper's longterm health, but a great deal for the weaker partner because they make a lot more money under the JOA than they would have by duking it out. And the majority partner eventually gets a monopoly while calling all the shots for the term of the JOA.

Don't confuse the circulation or majority/minority ownership in the JOA with the quality of the product. Both Detroit papers had good news products, and while the Free Press was deemed the "failing newspaper" for the JOA application, it now has a significant circulation lead over the News. It never was about a fair competition between the news products, but who cut the better deal in the JOA (the AM cycle).

Because it seemed reasonably safe when they signed on.

6. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Fair enough.

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Here's an interesting article from E&P about the Post... God speed to all of you Post employees out there looking for jobs.
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003684364

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, although the story ended in kind of a weird way.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Damn, Luke Saladin. There's a blast from the past.

Luke, if you see this, it sounds like you are on your feet. I hope all is well.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Looks like Hoops killed BBJones.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

not that there's anything wrong with that.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Would hoops rush into a burning building and save his kids, though? That's the question we all have.

Draft saved Draft deleted