1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The church bell chimed till it rang 29 times....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wasn't it rammed by the Cat Stevens?

2. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

33st anniversary?

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's hard to appreciate how quickly they all froze in Lake Superior. This summer we swam in a "warm" area, a little inlet near Munising, Mich., over the July 4 weekend. And it still felt like icicles instantly grew on your hair, if you dared stick your head under water. We did a shipwreck tour of the area, as well, and 400-year-old wrecks are preserved in all their glory through the magic of Lake Superior cryogenics. For those who dive to check out the wreckage, I think their wetsuits are made out of blubber.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You just wrote a new verse to the song. Well done.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder, Rosie. I'll be digging out my copy and listening today. Love that song.

I have a friend (no, it isn't me) who insisted the line was "the church bell chimed, DUDE, it rang 29 times." It cracks me up whenever I hear the song and the thread title did as well.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

That's awesome. Change the thread title Rosie? :D

7. [​IMG]

I saw the Fitz once.
    Damned thing blotted out the horizon. Just freaking massive.
    It's always remarkable to me how many people think it sank in Lake Michigan because they hear the song and confuse Whitefish Bay in Ontario with Whitefish Bay, the Milwaukee suburb, aka Whitefolks Bay.
    Great slashing guitar on that and Gord's in fine voice.
    Saw him do it once on the Summerfest grounds in Milwaukee with the fog rolling in off the lake.
    Very cool.

8. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Does anyone know where the love of God goes..

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

That I have to disagree with. Man has written and performed a lot of great songs that have held up over the years. And he's still a modest and rather shy man with no airs about him at all. And he still sounds great.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I can never let a Gord-related thread go by without this bit o' brilliance:

SCTV -- Gordon Lightfoot Sings Every Song Ever Written (Rick Moranis sings as Lightfoot)

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Is there any other?

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

We do this thread every year.
    Never gets old, either.
    It's a unique story.

Draft saved Draft deleted