1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The church bell chimed till it rang 29 times....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Today is the 33st anniversary of the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald or "Fitz" as it was known on the big lake.

I can still remember hearing the updates on the radio and Mr. Rosie remembers listening to all the updates with his grandpa, who worked on the ore ships of the Great Lakes. (Yes, Grandpa knew some of the men lost.)

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

One of the beautiful things about living down south is not having to listen to that song over and over and over and over and over and over on days like today.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I like that song.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

great song

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Do you prefer Gord's version?

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

When I was a kid I thought it was "Ella Fitzgerald" for a while.

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

Wife grew up in Canuckistan in an age when x-amount of radio time had to be devoted to Canadian artists. Thus she heard a little too much of that song, along with Anne Murray, Paul Anka, etc.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Gordon Lightfoot=overrated.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

We were on a ferry immediately following the Edmund Fitzgerald through the Soo Locks the year before the storm. We marveled at the idea of something that size being a lake-going ship.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's a powerful story and the museum at Whitefish Point is powerful, but still doesn't do it justice....
    Yet... Slappy>Lightfoot Fitzgerald = BYH> Fresca

Draft saved Draft deleted