1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Christmas Bonus

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Is Atticus Finch the company lawyer?

[/OK, kind of obscure]

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Hate to quote myself, but I was meaning to add this tidbit:

In contrast to what I wrote above, I started a second job at the local hospital, working at the sports fitness center.

The position isn't even considered part-time, it's casual. I work on average 5-to-10 hours a week.

Despite being there only a couple months, I received the same $25 gift certificate everyone else received. I thought that was a really nice gesture.

3. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

I'd be shocked to get a card.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

New ownership took over my place this year, and while we didn't get a monetary bonus, I was surprised that we received physical gifts as a thank-you.

They're not incredibly useful, but hey, I expected nothing, so this is a plus.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

chanukah celebration postponed until next saturday -- better late than never -- right on the heels of chistmas festivities with invasion of mrs. shockey's family. when it snows it pours....

we are fam-i-lee!!

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Last year we got fancy coasters with our paper's 150th anniversary logo etched on them.

This year, the Christmas party was a lunchtime potluck. Beforehand, the publisher went around (grinning from ear to ear) and we picked envelopes out of a Santa hat that were good for either an extra half- or full-day of (ostensibly) paid vacation.

I drew a half.

I'm salaried.

FML.

I guess the only Christmas bonus I get this year is that, because there was no party, I didn't have to hear my publisher prattle on about how great a job we did this year and how tough times are and all that jazz.

EDIT: I almost forgot! Though we don't publish on Dec. 25 (we're a PM), because said date is a Friday night, I have to go in and put out a paper that evening for the morning of Dec. 26. Same for New Year's Day.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Chip, with very little going on in sports that day, you could probably get most of the pages ready a night or two before.

Saving you time on actual Christmas day and allowing you to come in a little later.

8. House

House Member

Neither the Corporation nor the local management have ever given bonuses, so I expect nothing, and so I'm never disappointed.

I will say that the annual summer picnic and holiday party were canceled long ago, and they're not coming back.

Draft saved Draft deleted