1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Christmas Bonus

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

No bonuses last year at my old company, but prizes were raffled off. I believe there was a $500 jewelry store gift certficate; NASCAR tickets, and something along the lines of a $150 gift card for a local wine store. The general sales manager and the local sales manger won two of those gifts (including the $500 gift card). And accepted them.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Are Christmas bonuses given to those who don't celebrate Christmas as well?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Could be ... no, actually, it is worse: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/74944/

:( Sorry.

4. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

At my current place (been here four months, worked here almost five years previously) we have a yearly Christmas party and they hand out Christmas bonuses at the party. Our publisher announced yesterday it was the 96th Christmas party.

The bonus, if you've been there the entire year, is pretty much an extra paycheck, so it's pretty good money. I've only been back since August, so mine was a little more than 100 bucks.

Probably should mention it's a family owned shop.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

had a woman who said she couldn't do her pagination work on the xmas letters tab we had every year because she was a jehova's witness but had no problem accepting the christmas bonus.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Christmas letters tab?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I got a one year membership in the Jelly of the Month Club.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

letters from school kids to santa. funny as hell but oh what a beating typing all those letters.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't blame her then.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The best I got was two weeks' pay in the 1980s. The largest paper I worked for gave us a frozen turkey.

I was talking to Hartford about a job in 1989 and the SE told me they got six weeks' pay as a Christmas bonus.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Previous job, a box of See's candy. Turned out they were bought with profits from the vending machines.

12. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Got a really nice ham one year from the largest paper I worked at.

The only other bonus I ever received was a pound or two of really good thick-sliced bacon. Apparently there was some kind of old-time adage that giving bacon was an indication that the giver wished good luck in the coming year to the recipient. Ugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted