1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Chicago Best Buy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's bush-league and needs to be stopped.

No corporate logos on the front of the team's jersey.

And yes, I know all the Euro soccer teams do it. They're wrong too.

When you think of Manchester United, shouldn't you think of this

[​IMG]

instead of a cell phone company??

2. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

Your point is moot, they have not been sponsored by Vodaphone for two seasons now.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The name changed sucked. Royally.

IJAG brought up the obvious comparison to NASCAR. The only reason this hasn’t really occurred in baseball is because the teams are generating their own brand, which is considered more “pure” than that of the corporate sponsor. Just look at the Yankees or Red Sox. Are there better corporate identities than those? Maybe the NFL has a better one.

The reality is that if the NFL or MLB felt that they could get more money out of putting corporate sponsors on the front of their shirts, they would.

4. Starman

Sure, they're now sponsored by some investment company or something.

Think the Yankees should take the "NY" off their jerseys and put the Coca-Cola or SONY logos on there instead??

Green Bay Packers take the "G" off their helmets and put the Yahoo!! logo on there instead??

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Call me nuts, but I like Red Bulls as a nickname more than MetroStars, which sounds like an American minivan.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Yankees did put a company logo on their sleeves when they played overseas, right?

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Remember -- no TV timeouts in soccer. It is a good way to raise revenue -- only so many times that Sierra Mist buy that small box in the upper right corner.

Ways to raise ad revenue only goes in an upward direction. You are going to see more of this in every league.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

MetroStars at least had a denotation towards the metro area (though it was also named after the owners, MetroMedia). Red Bull is an energy drink first, then a team. Doesn't matter... I can't change squat.

The helmets are the logo, so that doesn't make sense. However, if I told you that you could watch a game without a commercial interruption, would that help?

Somehow teams need to make money. The game isn't going to stop so that Coca-Cola can show you polar bears sucking on sugar-water or some old couple breaking a faucet when they want to fuck.

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Man U is sponsored by ING. Their kit looks like it needs a verb in front of the corporate logo.

Nonetheless, the righteous indignation is misplaced, considering Wrigley Field was built and named to pimp his business quite some time ago. I don't have to like it, but I've accepted it more in resignation than anything.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

With Best Buy sponsorship, will ticket prices be different online than at the box office now?

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good point. I forgot Pittsburgh doesn't have a team. Anyone want some FC Dallas gear? I won't be needing it after this season.

12. Starman

They didn't put it across the front of their chests.

As far as Man U being sponsored by ING, I wonder how much more money Man U would make from worldwide sales of merchandise, t-shirts, jerseys, hats, etc etc, if they used their own signature logo (the red-devil shield) as the predominant identifying image on the uniforms. They make plenty now, but I bet they'd make more if they used their OWN logo to identify their team rather than advertisers.

Draft saved Draft deleted