1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Chevy Volt

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Mar 19, 2009.

1. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I'm still waiting for a more fuel efficient light truck. I don't need a ton of power, just a V6 and a bed for hauling small loads. I still do a little delivery work for my dad's store in the summer and some weekends and a piddly hatchback just doesn't cut it.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I mean the people who had them loved them, and they had a waiting list of people who wanted them that they couldn't come close to fulfilling.

GM did not want the EV1 to succeed. They developed it to meet air quality standards in California, then got those standards eliminated.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Question here, and I'm not trying to be snarky...

Why on earth would anyone need that kind of power, especially in any vehicle that's not a truck?

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

People should be able to have any vehicle they can afford.
    I'm not a car buff, but car enthusiasts have not had their choices taken away.
    The people who had their choices taken away were those who wanted an electric car with 100-mile range.

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Please remember to factor in the cost of your electricity - consumption will increase - as you keep your Chevy Volt plugged in to an outlet in your garage more than once in a while...

In addition, ask about the "replacement cost" for the charging circuits and controls and/or the battery just in case either happens to fail once the warranty period is past. Here is a hint, it will not be "three easy payments of $39.95..."

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I, on the other hand, need a REALLY LONG extension cord if I'm gonna get an electric car. :D

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm not sure they make 3,000-mile-long extension cords. You may have to settle for something else ;)

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I got a used '06 Prius with about 30k miles on it in January for about $15k. The other car I was considering was a Corolla, about $3k less. With gas costs and everything else measured, I'm making up that difference in four years of driving my Prius. Plus, it has better safety features and is bigger inside. It handles wonderfully and has power to do enough of what I want, as long as I'm not trying to race someone or do 90 on the highway.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No one is suggesting that electrics or hybrids are free of cost.
    In fact, I hate the fact that there is a government rebate. It hides the true cost of the vehicle and creates the impression that the technology is cost-effective when it is not yet.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

The new Chevy Volt has announced it's car will get 230 miles per gallon!

But how much will it cost?

My math is rusty, but let's say you drive 10,000 miles per year.

If you get 25 miles per gallon, that's 400 gallons of gas @ $3/gallon, that' $1,200.

If you get 230 miles per gallon, uh, let's just make it 200, then that's 50 gallons of gas at $3/gallon or $150

Does that sound right?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How long does the battery last on this thing before it has to be recharged?

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Oh, here's the link:
    http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/11/autos/volt_mpg/index.htm?postversion=2009081110

To be sure, this car sounds ideal if you're only using it to get back and forth to work. If you're driving more than 40 miles, that's a hell of a commute.

The way it works is that after 40 miles, the gas kicks in. The story spells out how they figured the gas mileage.

Draft saved Draft deleted