1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The cheapest, most nutritious and most bountiful food in human history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 28, 2013.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't even like seeing places like McDonald's being called "offenders." They're offering a product the public obviously wants. Shackle them and take away their special sauce.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I suppose anything you stick in your mouth and swallow can be food, when you are emotionally detached (really?) from reality.

Including sodium citrate (the fourth ingredient in McDonalds' process white cheddar cheese), Azodicarbonamide (what goes into their buns), and a host of other things off their ingredient list that you consider "food," but most people on here couldn't tell me what it is.

3. jr/shotglass

The minutes I take off my life with a Double QP will be multiplied by worrying about Azodicarbonamide and what it is.

4. The Big Ragu

Well, if you ever do find out what it is. ... you'll find out that it's other major use is in the production of plastic.

5. jr/shotglass

All the time I wasted eating the container. It was already in the burger.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And apple seeds contain cyanide There's some scary soundin stuff in natural foods too.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Black taco[/boom]

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Folks are taking the definition of "nutrition" too far.

The point is that calories are nutrition.

Sure, poor people in America get plenty of calories. That's also the point.

In a world where there are people starving to death, we in America can get 390 calories for a buck. That McDonald's (and others) have figured out how to source, cook, and serve a 390 calorie burger for a dollar is an incredible feat.

Elites like to talk about natural food, farm to table, and their hatred of preservatives, and GMOs, but without them, world hunger would be much greater.

Elites don't like Walmart, or McDonald's, but the poor depend on them.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Aren't we full of meaningless, ominous sounding facts.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You shilling for McDonald's now?

If you think McDonald's industrial food is even remotely nutritional, you're nuts.

As Ragu said, they take a wonderful healthy food like oatmeal and turn it into a chemistry experiment.

And this idea that people who promote healthy food are elites is right wing nonsense. It was the same gang of wingnuts who attacked the First Lady for promoting healthy food.

I love McDonald's but go there no more than once a month because I know it's incredibly unhealthy

11. The Big Ragu

A natural-growing apple -- the whole food variety that has cultivars going back millions of years -- does not consist of synthetic (man-made) chemicals. It's not a matter of "scary sounding." It's a matter of a PROCESSED product that is a man-made concoction and includes synthetic chemicals. ... versus whole foods that grow naturally, and were the staple of human diets for millions of years, prior to the last 100 + years in which we have fucked up our diets.

I'll take my chances on an apple off an apple tree over a processed product (from McDonalds or anywhere else) any day of the week. I'd also bet if others made what I think is that common sense decision, we wouldn't have the variety of diet-related health problems that have reached epidemic proportions worldwide. It's a curious correlation at the least that people are fatter and more prone to things like heart problems and diabetes at the same time that McDonalds has grown to an entity that feeds about 1 percent of the world's population (68 million people a day).

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

While you're there, can you pick me up three Taco Supremes, crispy shell, please. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted