1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cheap Beer thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jul 1, 2017.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Swear by Narragansett. Is Grain Belt available at all outside Minny?

Vombatus likes this.
  2. We go to an annual 4th of July church picnic in my parents hometown in rural Pennsyltucky.
    This picnic had been on-going since WWII and they have a beer stand (God Love Catholics!).
    It is the creme de la creme of cheap/shitty beers.
    No Bud. No Bud Light.
    Genesee Cream Ale. Natty Light (No Pennsyltucky shindig is complete with it). Coors Light. Strohs or MGD and Yuengling (No light!) for the fancy townies.
    All cans.

I Should Coco likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So true. I used to drink Killian's Red Ale (from Coors) because it was easily available and I tend to like red and brown ales. I saw it tonight at Publix for $8.99, Screw that, I can get all kinds of craft beers for that or a buck more.

Yuengling is my go to cheap beer.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

On that list never had National Bohemeian, Game Day, Simpler Times, Name Tag, Medalla, Olympia, Lone Star, Rainier, Utica or Grain Belt. Had all others.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just had a Gansett tonight. Cold, crisp, perfect swill.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Yuengling is sold everywhere except where I live, apparently. Tried some on a trip to Tennessee a few years ago and thought it was OK.

Liut likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Genny Cream, Utica Club and Stroh's. Staples of every WNY kid in the 1970s. Drank a lot of National Bo in college.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Wasn't Strohs the first to go to 30 packs?

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I recall a parish fish fry in the Midwest that was so good there was a long line out the door.

Never ones to miss a fundraising/drinking opportunity, the parish sold cans of Busch Lite for $1 to those waiting in line, to spur the appetite for fried fish.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Missing: Schlitz. Black Label.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Schlitz is there, center of top row.

Rolling Rock is sold everywhere now in my neck of the woods, a happy hour cheapie. It used to be a great cruising beer when it came in 7-ounce pony bottles in the 12-beer box. No littering, no empties rolling around inside the car.

Pints of Rainier for $1 at one place in Microville. PBR still the favorite of Portland hipsters.

Wasn't Strohs the first to go to 30 packs?

I remember 8-packs in bottles. Cruise with three other people and everybody got two each. Fire brewed!

Vombatus likes this.
  12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There is plenty of shitty beer here in Ontario, including many mentioned in the first post. But they ain't cheap.

Draft saved Draft deleted