1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Case for Working With Your Hands

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 22, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Interesting article in the Times Magazine and very apropos to my situation.

I post it here because so many on this board are looking at career changes. I truly encourage encourage you all to consider service industries.

Five years ago I didn't own a wrench. Almost exactly three years ago -- after working for someone else for about a year at a significantly lower salary than I was used to making -- I started my own, now successful service business. I now sell and service commercial coffee and espresso machines -- mostly to and for chain restaurants.

You can learn how to fix stuff. Your writing and communication skills will help you grow your business and differentiate you from the competition. And manufacturers are always looking for bright, articulate distributers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24labor-t.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=all

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've been thinking a lot about this myself. I'm hoping to get into computer networking. The actual, physical building and maintaining of the networks. Beceause, as the article said, you can't do it over the internet.

3. YankeeFan

Yep, same thing with espresso machines.

The super automatic ones I work on a lot -- every Dunkin' Donuts has one -- list for over $13,000. Trust me, they don't want to replace them if they don't have to.

I charge $75.00 to "walk in the door" and then $75.00 per hour while on site. I also bill for my mileage and parking. And I get a 50% discount on parts.

There's a need in nearly every industry for good reliable service people.

Funny too, the Honda repair man that the author trained under is abut three blocks from where I'm currently sitting.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've never been very handy this way -- wanted to say "not good with my hands," but didn't want to close every door -- but this is all a very interesting idea.

5. YankeeFan

Trust me, neither was I. I didn't know anything.

But you learn. Coffee & espresso machines are logical. They make sense. Once you learn the basics, repairing them isn't that hard. 90% of it is having the right tools and the right parts -- and the phone number for tech support.

I stumbled into my field when I was thinking about opening a coffee or tea shop.

The barrier to entry was low. You didn't need to train for years to be certified like a plumber or electrician and I only needed to buy some spare parts & tools to get started.

I work out of my home and use the same beat up car I owned before I got into this.

It's your ability to sell yourself and be reliable that are most important. If you're smart, you can learn how to fix stuff.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Fuck. I'm screwed.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

My brother-in-law was a dentist. He didn't like it much and the malpractice insurance was steep.
    He now fixes pizza ovens. Similar story to YankeeFan. Think about it: If your business is selling pizza and your oven breaks, you have nothing to sell. You're damn sure gonna get it fixed ASAP and that few hundred bucks it's gonna cost you gladly pay.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

SoCalDude, sounds like your bro-in-law is rolling in dough.

9. YankeeFan

How so?

10. YankeeFan

Sounds very similar. A coffee shop without coffee doesn't make a lot of money.

They have to fix the machine.

The best part is I work for myself. No one can ever fire me or lay me off again. No more idiot bosses and my success is dependent on my hard work.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

www.instantrimshot.com

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

He's cookin' on high.

Draft saved Draft deleted