1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Car is Dead/Long Live the (Next) Car

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Fixed.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I bought a previously leased 2008 Nissan Altima in ‘11, had 31K miles at time of purchase. Now is at 162K and still humming. Hoping to get to at least 200, if not 250. This was after having three Dodges, all of which completely fell apart before the 150K mark.

If I was in the market for something new, I rented a Nissan Rogue for a vacation roadtrip last year and loved it. Great gas mileage. Plenty of space, but not a monster SUV. Smooth ride. I'd love to have one.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Re: Craigslist. Is there any literature out there about the benefits of private purchases vs. dealership purchases on used cars? That's what I would wonder about. But you probably have this figured out if you do some of your own repairs. Just figured I'd throw that out.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

On the risk continuum (w.r.t. used cars) ... Franchised dealers < non-franchised dealers < private sales.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not according to all the sitcoms I grew up watching. "Guy buys car from private seller and all kind of things go wrong" was an episode staple.

7. doctorquant

Right ... buying a used car from a franchised dealer is the least risky ... buying from a private seller is the most risky.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It wasn't until recently that I read that headrests are designed to be pulled out and used to break the window with the metal part if one happens to be in the water.

I never knew that before, and I imagine a lot of people don't know that.

Iron_chet likes this.
  9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Ugh. How awful...

10. doctorquant

ANOTHER of the just-get-me-there cars has shuffled loose this mortal coil! This one hurts ... been working pretty hard on it so as to let the famous DaughterQuant drive it. I don't do trannies, though.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Well you are just teeing that up nicely.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

2004 Toyota Camry here. 298,000 miles. I used to think, 100,000 miles ago, that my next oil change may be my last. Haven’t even considered it in a while. The thing runs like a rock star. Only sign of age is I add oil now, which I didn’t do 150,000 miles ago. It will become Baby MMSW’s when she heads to college next year.

And it’s my third Camry. Crashed one with high mileage in 2004. Wife drives an 8-year-old one. Long live the Camry.

I Should Coco and Batman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted