1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Camby "trade"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jul 17, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That makes sense, but I'm not buying Camby as the single reason for that team not winning a championship -- not with his production.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

While he has been injury prone for much of his career, he played 70 games two years ago and 79 last year.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Good trade for both sides. The Clippers did the best they could after Brand walked away by getting Camby. The Nuggets are a talented team, but even with Camby, it's not like they played defense so now they can go out and get someone to help that roster get younger.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Agree and disagree.

Disagree because the Nuggets were a pile of selfish gunners and that was with Marcus Camby in the lineup. If it's possible for the selfish gunner problem to be worse, Denver may have just found a way. Sure, the Nuggets got a $10 million salary exception within a year of the deal, but still ... not worth it for the ONE player who actually played defense and didn't worry about his shots.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

One of the radio honks yesterday said the Clippers are better than they were. Baron Davis is better than Corey Maggette and Marcus Camby is better than Elton Brand.
    HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They will be better than 23 wins or whatever they had, but 45 wins and a playoff spot? Probably not.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

If Camby had just gone to college for four years, none of this ever would have happened.

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Woody Woodpecker was a great cartoon.

9. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Nuggets fan here to rationalize the trade.

First off, he isn't a great defensive player. He is a great at helping out on defense, but he often does so without any regard to his defensive assignment. Just watch Game 1 of the Lakers series for evidence. I think Gasol scored half his points because Camby completely left him wide open in an attempt to pad his stats, which leads me to my next point....

Camby is the biggest stat-whore on the team. More than AI. More than Melo. More than JR Smith. He will knock over teammates to grab rebounds and more often than not, when he gets his 10th rebound, he disappears (unless there's a chance for him to get 20, in which case he keeps trying until he gets there). He also forces more shots (and his shot is easily as ugly as Shawn Marion's, by the way).

The subtraction of Camby's 30 minutes, combined with an additional 15-20 minutes from JR Smith improves this team on offense immensely. The team wasn't going to be good defensively even with Camby. This improves their offense by a significant amount (and doesn't hurt their defense as much as most people think).

A lineup of: Kenyon Martin, Carmelo Anthony, Linas Kleiza, JR Smith and Allen Iverson might be the best offensive lineup in the league.

If your owner forces you to dump Camby, you might as well make the team entertaining.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I could be wrong, but I believe that was bizzaro lolcat speak :D

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

You could/should have just stopped at Carmelo and AI.

But if you take Martin and Smith and then Carmelo and AI you have four guys who, per square inch, may comprise the most heavily-tatted starting lineup in the NBA.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Who won the MVP of the Finals this year?

Hey, four-year college kids in the NBA are going to be as rare as cheap courtside seats in a few years, so I will just concede. The league ain't better for it, but I will concede.

I think Shaughnessy called it juco ball, but what does he know?

Draft saved Draft deleted