1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cable TV Business Model-- For Newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I brought this up a few months ago and had some people wishing to subscribe to my newsletter.

This is a re-post that roughs out the idea:

---------

A couple of things... Under this plan, the print editions would go away eventually.

The "fees" charged to the internet service providers (ISPs) would start gradually. One penny per subscriber. That way the cost to the ISP and the consumer would be absorbed gradually.

A lot of this would start by the heavy hitters (NYT.com, CNN.com) legally asserting that they own the content and allowing the ISPs to disseminate it for free. After a time, a penny would be charged.

Folks, the ISPs (mine is Cablevision, for example) would gradually take home less profit.

I used to work for Cablevision, and I know a bit about how their internet operation works. It's basically been a license to print money over the past few years. It has almost singlehandedly kept the company flush with cash.

Companies like Cablevision are making a fortune off your content.

Time to cut into that.

2. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

I have to agree with this. Stop the combination gravy train/bleeding. It's how much you value yourself and the price you put on your work. See how badly they want it, and if they don't want it bad enough, form a consortium and start your own version of Cablevision and compete with them.

Draft saved Draft deleted